acting strange

well i am trying to figure this out so joe knows what to do once he gets his hands on this thing but since it is still in my hands i will ask.

the problem is with my 86 2.8L MJ. (i know i know someone will say its because it is a 2.8L) but the thing if i drive it for over 30 mins it starts to hesitate, like it is not getting fuel or there is air in the lines. i am debating if it just needs a new fuel filter or if it is getting vapor locked. it will run good for the 30mins but then after that it hesitates bad. it has only been doing this for about a week. and it started after i filled it up out of one of the farm tanks. so that is what makes me think filter. but none of the other cars/trucks or even the tractors around here do it. so there is where vapor lock comes into play. either way its an easy fix just i would like joe to have an idea about what it is so he can just get it taken care of once he gets it. let me know what you think.

Alex

Oh, sure, I see what you're trying to do to me. JK, although it would be help to know exactly what is wrong with it, for the time being, about 90% of the trips I make are right about half hour, so it shouldn't be too much of a problem yet. Any help would be appreciated though.

Slap on a new filter. They are what 7 bucks??? Plus if you haven't done it in awhile it probably needs one anyway.

When is the last time they filled your farm tanks? When we had ours we used to fill all the vehicles and equipment before we let the dealer fill them. Then we let the tank settle for a day or two before pumping out of it.

well our farm tanks are almost never full. we get the discounts at Kroger for their gas by spending too much money on food. lol. so i take the K-10 to Krogers and fill up the tanks in the bed then pump it out into the farm tanks. our farm tanks have filters on the lines but i have seen stuff get through them at my dads work place in the truck he uses around there.

i was thinking filter but my stepdad brought up vapor lock and it sounds like an option if the filter doesnt work.

Alex

Don't see where fuel filter or fuel contamination would only affect the truck after 30 mins. I would take a look at the choke plate when it starts acting up and see if it is closing back up again. Have you ever done any work on the piece of crap carb? Are all the factory vacuum lines and air cleaner still attacthed? I seem to remember some funky performance issues with bad thermovacuum delay valves and solenoids on these things, or just having ported and manifold vacuum sources switched.

Just find a TPI set up out of a camaro or firebird and put that in it. jamminz.gif

never done any work to the stupid carb. and all the vac lines are connected and working. the choke might be an idea. but the TPI would be the best route if ya ever want to make it run really well joe.

Alex

I'll look into the choke possibility when I take it in to get the rear main done. As for if/when I do the TPI swap it won't be for about a year or so anyways, because for one, yea sure crapmaro's and fireturd's are overly abundant around me, but they've all been modded to the hilt and all have V8's in them, so finding one will be a challenge. For two, I'm still trying to sell my 86 merc cougar with no success to pay back my mom's boyfriend for borrowing me the money for the 86. And lastly, I'm going to be moving next month, so I get to pay security deposit/first month rent........ all the usuals that are associated with living on your own.