Bad Fuel Pump?

Hello everyone, I'm new to the board. I just bought a 1988 Comanche

with the 2.5 4 cyl, 2 wheel drive for $300. Problem is that the last owner

kept going thru fuel pumps, 5 to be exact. At least that is what I've been

told. I am familiar with the engine since I have had them before. Where do I start to trouble shooting this? I know thr TBI pump will NOT interchange with the Multi Port model. Could it be that he was using the

wrong pump?

I am happy that I found this forum and look forward to my visits here,as

I plan on restoring my Comanche. I hope to post some pics soon

Thanks, Mark :cheers:

Is the wiring resistor in the system? Inside the engine compartment on the drivers side wall near the front there should be a grey ceramic block maybe 3" or so long with a wire coming out of each end and a bolt in the middle holding to the wall.

I looked on the firewall and did not see a resistor. I know what you are talking about thou, a lot of the "Old" Cars had them. I also failed to mention that he has jerry riged a external electric pump in front of the fuel

filter underneath. I flipped the Switch he had rigged up and the pump works, I just have not tried to jumpstart the truck yet...... :eek:

The fuel pump ballast resistor on an '88 isn't on the firewall, it's on the inside of the left front fender. Between the fender and the air filter box. It's a greyish-white ceramic block about 2" long with a push-on terminal at each end.

That PO sounds like the type of person who puts $1.07 worth of gas in at a time (or whatever change he has in his pocket at the time :roll: ) just to keep it running.

Try not to run with less than 1/4 tank at any time. The fuel pump is cooled by the fuel in the tank, and if you constantly run it at/near empty you'll burn it up (plus keep sucking crud into it from scavenging the bottom of the tank).

Jeff

Ok Eagle, I looked under the air box and it was not there, just a 4 connector plug with a cap plug in it. I even took the washer tank loose

looking for it...............I guess I will take the new add on pump off, go get

a new in tank pump and try it. I guess I'm just trying to save 90 bux that I woukd pay for a new one :headpop:

Momule - no question that the past owner took some parts out of that area, but if you look at Pete's picture, you should look for 2 red wires tied together some were in that area.

The part you want, from Advance Auto is - Ignition reststor GCR7, Part #9180002, $3.97

mum.....ere, how I know?, one of mine fell apart, and no start, so......

Eagle is right, that could be alot of the problems with the pumps frying up.

There were other good suggestions posted here for you too. ;)

Good luck.