Cruise control and 96 brake booster questions

So I'm finally getting around to hooking up the 96 booster in my build. I know quite a few have done it but has anyone dealt with hooking the cruise control up?

The donor for the cruise control was an 89 and I'm putting it into an 88. I plan on using the 96 brake pedal assembly with the 96 brake switch. It can provide the electrical inputs needed but the older cruise control switch also has a vacuum switch on it that bleeds off the vacuum when the brake is applied. On the 96 pedal assembly, the bracket that holds the brake switch has an extra hole beside the brake switch that the vacuum switch could fit in. I figure I could bolt a small angled plate to the brake pedal to actuate the switch.

I know I can modify the 96 booster rod to work with the old pedal and brake switch but I'd like to hear what others have done.

Lastly, those that have cruise control, where does the vacuum hose for the switch on the brake enter the firewall at?

:cheers:

I'd love to help ya on this one, but I've only dealt with the HO cruise control, which is plug-and-play and an entirely different animal. The vacuum line is already there in the engine compartment capped off, as well as the wiring harness plug for the servo. All you have to do mount the servo, plug it in, run the new cruise cable to the throttle body, then add the cruise stalk and plug in the cruise wire under the dash.

The harness for the 1989 cruise control goes thru a hole that is above the ECU harness hole (as a general location) near the harness for the wiper motor. The hole accomedates the vacuum hose and the electrical wires.

I have done the 95-96 brake master/booster swap, and found the same bracket on the pedal assembly. I did exactly as you described, but had to also swap in the 89 cruise control cut-off switch (it is part of the brake light switch on the pedal swivel bolt). This shuts off the cruise when the pedel is depressed.

If I get a chance later I will post some pictures...but it may be a few days.

Thanks to both of you. With what you wrote, you knocked the dust loose and got the brain firing again. Since I was just looking for a hose, as I thought the wiring was in the engine and dash harnesses, read this and walked out to the peg board with all my spare wiring and found the piece of the puzzle I was missing.

It didn't dawn on me that it had it's own harness. :dunce: So looking at the red arrow which points out the firewall plug, the only one it will fit is the one above the speedo and below the wiper holes. And I'm with you Akula69. I'm just going to use the other hole and make a piece to connect to the brake pedal and use the old cruise control switch. Would still like a pic when if you get the chance. :thumbsup: Also, which wires did you use off of the newer brake switch? From what I've researched, two go to the brake switch, two go to the torque converter lockup/release, and two go to the cruise control. :dunno:

The 96 booster will swap in and the pedal will be the same height as stock in 1989?

Yes, but only the 95 and 96. Any other year and you have to modify the pushrod.

Hmm, I thought that every year would make the pedal real tall; I know the 1997 booster did, lol.

Also, which wires did you use off of the newer brake switch? From what I've researched, two go to the brake switch, two go to the torque converter lockup/release, and two go to the cruise control. :dunno:

I gotta get under there to check and that'll take a few days (before I can get to it). As I recall, I had to use a multimeter to work it out....but there is another way: use the switch that was attached to the brake pedal on the old setup.