Pull a part trip

Akula69

Went to the JY today - got lucky I guess in the fact that there were 3 - 89 XJ's there to pick from - all 3 C4C vehicles. The sad part was a silver Laredo with 84K on the clock that looked almost new (except for the crack in the block). Ah well....

Anyway, there is a 4X4 with a D30 in the front and a AMC20 in the back, but some fool put what appears to be a screwdriver thru the cover. After some cursing and further investigation, it appears that all the diffs have a hole put in the covers and have been drained.

My question is...does anyone know of aftermarket covers for the '20?

PS: I got a nice clock, a complete (unmodified) engine bay harness, a complete cruise control system (including the special speedo cable), a complete header panel, AC vacuum hoses, and a couple other small parts for 75.00. All in all, not bad for 5 hours work.

Sure, many companies make HD covers for the 20!!! Figure 100 for a good one....

CW

Hmmmm. So I can get the axle for 75.00 and a cover for 100.00 more. The only problem would be getting the daymn thing off with only hand tools... :roll:

Sure, many companies make HD covers for the 20!!! Figure 100 for a good one....

CW

Hmmmm. So I can get the axle for 75.00 and a cover for 100.00 more. The only problem would be getting the daymn thing off with only hand tools... :roll:

cordless sawzall, or propane torch.

it's really not hard to get the axle out. you can still buy stock diff covers used or new for them.

Agreeded, good call Pat, yes stock covers are also avalible.

Just cut the U-Bolts with a batt angle grinder or sawsall. Snip the brake line and unbolt the straps on the U-joint and the emergency brake cable mount. (Don't cut the emergency brake cables!!) YOUR DONE!!

Just becareful you don't "pop" a nut putting it in the truck bed!! :yes:

CW