Help me tow home an MJ? From PA to NJ

hupo224

Hi I'm a frequent on NAXJA.ORG. This is my third attempt at making this post because I @#$%ing hate my keyboard. But anyway I drive a 98 XJ 3" RC 31" M/Ts. I found a good deal on a virgin 86 manche. I want to turn her into a winter project. But I need help towing it home. She sits in Lancaster pa. I can't drive her home because of the leaky trans. Here is a link to the thread http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1011934

here are some pics.

dscf4670m.jpg

dscf4671a.jpg

dscf4672a.jpg

dscf4673.jpg

dscf4675.jpg

dscf4676d.jpg

dscf4677m.jpg

dscf4678.jpg

dscf4679.jpg

dscf4681p.jpg

dscf4682.jpg

I guess the first question is, why are you buying it, and what are your plans?

Welcome to the madness...

Rob L. :cheers:

I am buying it as a 2nd vehicle. I want a MJ project. I get to drop in anything I want. Which will be a 4.0 with a 5speed. Probably 5-6" lift on 35's. But I plan to fix it all up nice first and drive it while my XJ gets a engine swap. I'm not sure what I am positively going to do yet. But the truck will be a legal to drive. I been heavy into the projects forum and getting ideas. There's lots I can do. So I'll do it as I go I suppose.

I would like a project that I can occupy myself with. This would be perfect. It would be a great feeling of accomplishment to build up a MJ.

Ok. Just wanted to check to see if you knew what you were getting into... The '86 MJ has a shorter engine compartment, and it takes a little "firewall massaging" to get the back of the 4.0 to fit in the engine bay. As well as the entire harness will have to be swapped. It wouldn't be as easy as if you were to find an '87-'92 2.5L or bad 4.0L and swap that way...

But it sounds like you have the plan taken care of... I hope you can find your tow.

Rob L.

Ok. Just wanted to check to see if you knew what you were getting into... The '86 MJ has a shorter engine compartment, and it takes a little "firewall massaging" to get the back of the 4.0 to fit in the engine bay. As well as the entire harness will have to be swapped. It wouldn't be as easy as if you were to find an '87-'92 2.5L or bad 4.0L and swap that way...

But it sounds like you have the plan taken care of... I hope you can find your tow.

Rob L.

Yeah I read about the "firewall/trans tunnel hammer mod". I wonder if I would still be able to do a 97+ front clip swap. I think I'd rather keep it the 86 look though. I am considering doing a 2.5 4 banger swap or the 3.4 camaro bolt in. For me because of my limited skill with wiring and engine swaps, id rather do what's easiest. As in doing the harness. I don't mind stripping the dash and swapping the harness I just don't know how to rewire and what to rewire. I would consider a 87-92 instead though however because of the option of having a short bed and 4.0.

And thanks :D

i see it comes with the factory floor delete option so common in certain areas :D

welcome. beer's in the fridge, avoid the couch in the corner...

Yup. Will have fun welding for my first time lol :)

lets get the party going :cheers: