What does a bad CPS do?

I thought i was having a security issue, but maybe it a CPS. I wanted to take the sensor off to check it and clean it, only to find out it was pretty loose. So i cleaned it and tighten it back up. The truck still starts for a few sec. then dies. Is there a way to test these sensors? Is this even a common symptom of a bad CPS?

It doesn't sound like a CPS issue. If the CPS was dead, it wouldn't start.

You can check it, get a multimeter that can check ohms(resistance). Check the resistance between the two terminals on the plug. It should (IIRC) read between 125-275 ohms. That was the check I did on my Renix, I'm not sure if the numbers are the same for a HO or not.

You mentioned it's got a 91 motor in an 88 or 89... was all the wiring switched over? Or is the Renix system running the HO motor?

Since my CPS has 3 terminals on it, it must be the HO system. Do you guys know alot about these? I am pretty sure i have the alarm bypassed. Still getting good fuel pressure and spark but the truck will only run for a sec or so. And will keep running on starting fluid. I jumped the 2 wires going to the ballast resister. ANY IDEAS PLEASE

I thought i was having a security issue, but maybe it a CPS. I wanted to take the sensor off to check it and clean it, only to find out it was pretty loose. So i cleaned it and tighten it back up. The truck still starts for a few sec. then dies. Is there a way to test these sensors? Is this even a common symptom of a bad CPS?

You also said it will keep running on starter fluid. That rules out the CPS, because with a bad CPS you have no spark.

Your problem is the security system killed your fuel pump. Hotwire the fuel pump and I'll bet it'll run.

Its getting too late to try it now, but that was going to be my next move. I did jump out the relay for the fuel pump under the hood, to run some gas out to change the fuel pump. And i tryed to start it like this but it acted the same. But i will try and run a wire directly to the fuel pump too see. Thanks for the help.

An infernal (no, that's not a typo. Y'all know exactly what I mean) requires three things to run: Fuel, air, and spark.

You have spark, since it'll run on starting fluid.

You have air, since it'll run on starting fluid.

One way or another, the problem has to be gas.

An infernal

Ya, i understand that. The truck starts you can hear the fuel pump run before start up, then it dies, like i shut the key off. Then once it dies you hear the fuel pump running still. I am unsure if it shuts off when the truck dies the starts pumping after the truck dies, but i do know i never loose fuel pressure. That is why i was questioning what a CPS does, thought it may control the injectors.

Ok so i unplugged the ignition in order to get to the bolts to move it like you said. And i decided to try and start it with it unplugged, And guess what it starts and runs!!!! So it the switch bad or do i need to move it, or do i leave it unplugged.

This is great either way its been 3 days since i've heard this thing run!!