Fog Light Switch

I've got a few questions regarding the stock fog light switch.

1. Which prong on the switch is what? As in which is ground, power, etc.

2. Also in the switches harness which wire is what? I assume black is ground.

3. One more. Where would the plugs for the actual fog lights be, like where near the bumper.

The PO had a set of destroyed fog lights on there, and today when taking them off to swap them out I discovered he had run his own wire for them. I'd rather hook my fog lights to the stock switch and wiring.

Does anyone know where the OEM plugs which connect to the actual fog light would be located? I could not find them, even after removing my front bumper, grill and headlight cover.

If your MJ was not equipped from the factory w. the optional fog lamps, the wiring harness from the 10-pin connector on the left side forward engine compartment to the lamps, that includes the connector plugs, will not be there.

My Comanche has the stock switch, and there is a stock plug plugged into it. So I assume it had stock fog lamps.

From what I gather the 10-pin connector is near the fire wall on the drivers side?

The 10-pin connector is up front, left side, forward, in front of the air box. The dash fog lamp switch connector (but not the actual switch) is present on every MJ I have seen. Locate the 10-pin connector, then see if there is a wired connection on pin-10 of that connector. A factory electrical FSM for your year/model MJ is your friend, makes it easy, and is worth it's weight in gold. :cheers:

Does anyone know where the OEM plugs which connect to the actual fog light would be located? I could not find them, even after removing my front bumper, grill and headlight cover.

You seem to be under the assumption that the factory wiring harness for fog lights was there even if the vehicle didn't come with fog lights. That was not the case in 1989. AMC did not install wiring for options that were not ordered. If you bought the fogs later, over the counter, the harness was sold as a stand-alone item. Back around 1990 the wiring harness alone sold for $55.

Most guys also run their own wires anyway, as the factory harness only lets you have the fogs on with driving lights only. They turn off with brights, and off with headlights off.

Rob L.

Two points:

(1) The factory wiring for the fogs allows them to operate with the low beam headlights, or with the parking lights. I wouldn't want the fogs to operate with the headlight switch in the OFF position. Too much likelihood I'd forget to turn them off, and come back to a dead battery.

(2) It is Federal law that fog lights CANNOT stay on when you switch to high beams. That's why the factory wired them that way. There is NO car, truck or SUV that has ever come from the factory with fog lights that would stay on with the high beams. It costs more to do it this way ... trust me, the manufacturers would not do it if it weren't a legal requirement.

The plug to the switch only goes on one way so you can compare the wire colors to the diagram from hornbrod or here viewtopic.php?f=9&t=12734. I suggest getting the wiring harness from an XJ at the junk yard, it will have everything you need to make it plug and play including the relay. Here's what it looks like.