Needed: Power Steering Box SWAP exact info for MJs needed

I am revisting this discussion. I ordered what someone recommended for a Durango power Steering box off ebay, and received the wrong part. People on the forums are quick to estimate what years are actually interchangeable. I am hoping to put here the exact years/models will work our MJs in regard to power steering boxes. Hopefully a one stop parts information search in regard to this issue. Please add to the discussion with verifiable or experienced information.

The facts I have read are:

What year, make, models, possible part #???

"GM boxes are pretty widely interchangeable, whether they used three or four bolts to mount. The fourth bolt can be ignored in an MJ/XJ, and I think the other three are in the same positions."

The Durango viewed later in this thread was a GM bearing part # 26055055 GM-SM 2

This is confirmed

"Got a new (to me) ZJ steering box installed today from a 95 Grand. All the 92-1/2 to 98 ZJs boxes had a quicker steering ratio than our XJ/MJ boxes (12.7:1 vs. 14.1:1)."

This is confirmed

Durango (other possible years?)

99 V8 4X4 (must have this criteria)

Unconfirmed

Grand Wagoneer or Wagoneer:

Grand Wagoneer 4 bolt holes

Wagoneer 3 bolt holes

• 2 weeks later...

I found this interesting. I just got my Durango power steering box and had it cleaned. After it was cleaned it was stamped with GM's info. I had heard Dodge will and does buy parts from other manufacturers......

3991925198_fa7526d8bd_o.jpg

3991925354_70120295a4_o.jpg

Many many Chryco vehicles use GM's Saginaw steering gear, including our jeeps, so I don't know what you are asking. Maybe this will help:

http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6912

I considered the Durango box as a replacement, but the more I researched it, the more problems I saw, and it wasn't worth the effort for me.

The Durango box is possible worth pursuing if you plan to do a lot of heavy rock crawling. For most uses, even moderate 4x4 on a frequent basis, the standard Jeep box with 14:1 ratio is more than adequate. Personally, I spend more than 90 percent of my time on pavement, and a large percentage of that on highways, so I am more interested in getting the best control on the highway. The ZJ box with the 12.7:1 ratio is the preferred solution for that. Either that or buy a 12:1 box from Borgeson.

The Durango box is possible worth pursuing if you plan to do a lot of heavy rock crawling. For most uses, even moderate 4x4 on a frequent basis, the standard Jeep box with 14:1 ratio is more than adequate. Personally, I spend more than 90 percent of my time on pavement, and a large percentage of that on highways, so I am more interested in getting the best control on the highway. The ZJ box with the 12.7:1 ratio is the preferred solution for that. Either that or buy a 12:1 box from Borgeson.

thanks, i was sitting here :nuts: wondering why you would want a different steering box cause i've never heard of issues from our factory ones, good info, makes sense now why you'd want a different one. :waving:

Funny. My contact at PSC mentioned just yesterday to get a durango box from 91-99. :huh???:

Well, suggest you get it then. Let us know how it works out.

I am tempted to run another full hydro and trash the damn box ;)

Hornbrod and Eagle, thanks for the additional information.

I began my swap and wanted to retain the Durango pitman arm, but unfortunately it has a different configuration where it meets the drag link.

Has anyone used or know if the Durango drag link can be used on our trucks or is there an inexpensive drag link adapter of some type that can be used to accommodate the Durango pitman arm?