Wil rear axle hold??

IMHO, You will be just fine, the D44 is used in many many applications with more torque than your new stroker will produce.

BUT, as stated anything can be busted!!! Some time back I helped my nephew build up a F250. We installed a D60/D61 combo with 4:56 gears and 38" tires, but left it open as he didn't have the funds for lockers. ONE WEEK LATER, he PULVERISED the spider gears... I didn't think that was possible... but he did it!!!

CW

IMHO, You will be just fine, the D44 is used in many many applications with more torque than your new stroker will produce.

BUT, as stated anything can be busted!!! Some time back I helped my nephew build up a F250. We installed a D60/D61 combo with 4:56 gears and 38" tires, but left it open as he didn't have the funds for lockers. ONE WEEK LATER, he PULVERISED the spider gears... I didn't think that was possible... but he did it!!!

CW

Never underestimate the capability of a young hot-shot to destroy machinery. Some years ago a friend did a "budget" restoration on a 304 c.i. Javelin. A friend of his from the Hudson collectors' club bought it for his grandson. For those not in the know, the 304 was the small edition of AMC's V-8 lineup, and there was never a high-performance-high compression version of it. For about the next three years (until the grandfather died), that car came back almost like clockwork, about every two months. If the doofus didn't blow another rear end (an AMC axle, BTW, the same one used in the 1986 MJ Metric Ton trucks. Same axle AMC used in the 390 and 401 AMX.), he blew another (automatic) tranny. His grandfather just kept throwing money at it. "Boys will be boys," he said. "My grandson is a fine young man. He would not intentionally ruin his car."

Yeah, Don. Right. One time when it came in on the hook, the rear tires were showing cords and the insides of the rear wheel wells were solid black with fused-on rubber shreds.

CW, you and your nephew need to have a talk ...

I'm sure the 44 will hold up fine, If you upgrade the shafts and carrier. I'm running a Detroit TruTrac and Superior CroMo replacement shafts with about about 120k miles on them and well over 400ftlbs at the wheels. It took me 20+ 1-2 powershift burnouts to shear the pinion, and when I replaced the gear set, the splines and carrier were perfect.