lift kits

Hello everyone :waving: :Canadaflag: I was wondering if anyone could give me their opinion on what lift kit I should use for my 88 comanche long bed. I plan to use 31" tires and would like to go about 3" to 4". My question is what kit is better, the soa or sua? I want to be able to still tow, but have the off-roading option too. Thanks, and I am sure I will have more questions along the way!

A lift is not necessary to run 31" tires.

But to lift your Comanche, Hell Creek makes 3" as well as 4.5: lift leaf springs for Comanches, and sell both a 3" kit and a 4.5" kit. The kits pair up their rear leaf spring with front components from I believe Rough Country, but don't quote me on that. Hell Creek is a member on here, so if I'm wrong, I'm sure he will pipe up. Also, the transfer case drop kit included with the 4/5" kit is not needed.

Most people who go SOA pair that up with 6.5" springs in the front, or 4.5" springs plus 1.75" spacers.Most run 33" tires with this set up. It might look okay with 4.5" in front, but you will most likely have quite a bit of rake.

In my opinion, 3" lift looks the best with 31" tires.

A lift is not necessary to run 31" tires.
Not true.

You may put 31's on it without a lift, but the truck will not be useable for anything other than very careful mall driving. I had 235's on mine stock and they rubbed, so I know that 31's won't work. I have 31's now with the Rubicon Express 3.5" lift front, and the Hell Creek Suspensions 3" rear leaf springs--the front tires don't rub, but they are close to the fender when turning with about 1.5" clearance. :thumbsup:

I ran 235s on stock suspension on my MJ. At full lock they barely rubbed on the lower control arms. If you listened carefully with the window open you could hear it. Rubbed the dirt off the arms, but not the paint. I run those same tires on my 94 Cherokee now, also stock suspension, and no rubbing.

Yes 31s will rub when you turn the wheels too tight. But I know people that have run 31x10.5s on stock 7" rims and stock suspension without too much of a problem. Just don't steer too close to full lock.