engine idles high at times

hello all .

I have an 87 2 wheel drive 4.0 5 spd.fuel injected -and am in the middle of giving it a new interior with paps and some new parts as well.

well my question is that at times when i start it it goes into a high idle and will not come down unless i shut it of and restart it what should i look for?

and also roll bar or tool box in the back? I have found 2 donner trucks close by and have a few parts to pick from.

I have checked for vacum leaks and found no leaks.

may just have to take it in to the dealership.

I live in Nebraska so if anybody is close i would be happy to tell you where they are. one is 88 chief 4x4 and the other is 89 pioneer 4x4

the body on the chief is pretty beat up howe ever the poineer looks like some started to modify but never completed. both have front of motors tore down so no chance of starting them. also I can tell you the 89 had a new transfercase installed in 95 acording to the service bill i found.

some of these parts might end up in my garage. thaanks for the welcome and nice to meet you .

Hey Steve. Unless you know folks at the dealership, and they have been around Jeeps for a while, I would be leery of taking it there. In 87 the stuff under the hood has basically no Chrysler connection.

At the dealership I work at most guys are in their 20's ands don't have a clue about any older stuff. I also doubt that they have any of the old AMC/ Renix test stuff laying around.

If I can get my old brain to remember I think that we used to see wacky high idles from TPS issues. The TPS on your Jeep is adjustable and would need to be set with a DVOM AND I would highly recommend cutting out the pigtail connector and soldering the wires together directly. This was more of an issue with the AW4 TPS connector, but I got in the habit of splicing all the TPS wires directly to eliminate the crappy connector they used.

I saved all the old service bulletins from the '80s and will check through them when I get back to work on Tuesday.

I have found that if you take starter fluid or carb cleaner and spray around the inside of your hood while your running it it will find any intake or vaccum leaks that you may have not seen. Just make sure its not hot when you do this. when you hit a leak the rpms will go up or down alot so you can pinpoint location.

Cole

thanks for all the replies

I will try spraying the tps first. and work from there.

it only has 86k on it so i hope its nothing real tuff this just started a couple weeks ago and doesnt do it all the time.

I will let you know what happens.

thanks again guys