oil pressure (update)

my oil pressure is going the roof! cold starts in the morning (70 degrees outside) its running around 65-70, reaches operating temp and in around 30 minutes or so it will work its way down to 40-45. my PCV valve is blowing some oil, and my rear main seal is leaking a little, not much though. is it running high because of the leaks?, or is it getting ready to spill its guts? I'm getting worried cause its my DD and I'm screwed if i miss any college classes :help:

honestly the only real first step is use a mechanical oil gauge to properly determine what your pressure is doing. or if you don't want to do that replace the sender to eliminate any error freaking you out over nothing. gotta ask: oil changes are done regularly?

honestly what happened in mo is not a usual occurance, first i've really heard of it.

Lenard, what are you running for an oil filter?

Go to Pep Boys or Advance Auto (or Shucks, which I think is the same company in other parts of the world) and buy a Purolator or Mobil-1 filter. Stick it on, refill to the FULL mark with 10W30 oil, and recheck your oil pressure.

honestly the only real first step is use a mechanical oil gauge to properly determine what your pressure is doing. or if you don't want to do that replace the sender to eliminate any error freaking you out over nothing. gotta ask: oil changes are done regularly?

honestly what happened in mo is not a usual occurance, first i've really heard of it.

:agree: The factory gauges are notoriously inaccurate. Mine reads at least 70PSI all the time while running over 1500 RPM, and pegs for five minutes or so after starting. Idle is about mid-scale after warmup. Always run a Purolator Gold oversize filter. It's been doing that for about four years now w. the Hesco Hi-flow oil pump. Hooked up a mechanical gauge; it reads about 20PSI lower. So don't believe the dash gauge until checking w. a known good standard.

yes oil is changed regularly. and next weekend is time for an oil change, Idk what filter I'm using, oreilly special :D

ill get the filter you guys are suggesting, and already using 10w-30, so ill see what happens. i don't have access to a mechanical oil gauge that i know of, i just hope you all are right and its nothing to worry about. thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

ok i changed my oil this last weekend, and got a good filter for it, cold starts it still says 60-70 psi, but once warmed up and at hwy speeds, it runs 35-40 psi like it use to when i first put those gauges in.

So does that mean, there was junk in the oil and it was making my pressure go up, or just a screwy gauge?