xj rear axle

I just put an XJ axle under my MJ. Cut off all the XJ stuff, and welded on new perches and shock mounts.

When I had the original axle under there with a SOA conversion I used the original spring plates underneath the axle on the old perches and use the shock mounts on them, using square u bolts to hold everything together. Now I'm using round u bolts and XJ spring plates on top of the axle. Gives me a bit more clearance under the axle, and allowed me to put the shock mount exactly where I want it. Allows full droop with the brake line almost tight, but less up travel, to keep the tires out of the fenders.

I just put an XJ axle under my MJ. Cut off all the XJ stuff, and welded on new perches and shock mounts.

When I had the original axle under there with a SOA conversion I used the original spring plates underneath the axle on the old perches and use the shock mounts on them, using square u bolts to hold everything together. Now I'm using round u bolts and XJ spring plates on top of the axle. Gives me a bit more clearance under the axle, and allowed me to put the shock mount exactly where I want it. Allows full droop with the brake line almost tight, but less up travel, to keep the tires out of the fenders.

Can you post pics of this conversion. It sounds simple but I would like to see the pics to make sure I understand correctly.

I used the XJ shock mounts, with the bolt cut off, and relocated to the side. I also used the XJ spring plats and U bolts.

I am also running the "long" shock for a 95 1/2 ton F-150 4wd. Valving is about right, plus, you get to mount the shock bracket where you need it, instead of where the shock dictates.

Yeah, I know the axle is a 35, but it hasn't given me any trouble over the 8 years that I have owned this MJ.

Don't pay any attention to the brake lines. They are temporary until I can get shorter ones now that I have rear disc brakes. Also, a lot of the nuts have not been tightened down yet, breather hose is missing and drive shaft is not done yet.