MZ Rotax Cafe Racer Project

HOrnbrod

Finally started the the MZ Silver Star cafe racer project a couple of months ago. Awaiting a new AJS all-alloy tank from the UK, but it's coming along. The Rotax thumper single engine has been punched out from 500cc to 604cc, runs great. Need to finish up the wiring then decide on the paint scheme. Am leaning toward lots of brightwork biggrin.png and a metallic silver (same color as my MJ) with red piping paint scheme with a natural polish/clearcoat on the alloy tank.

aj%20tank%201.jpg

[quote name="

BTW' date=' anyone have anything powered with a Rotax engine?[/quote]

Not any more. In 1971 I designed and built a ultra light using a Rotax 582 for power, 68" prop, 2.58:1 belt reduction drive. In 1985 I was flying up by Red River, NM and wasn't attention and the wind put me into the cliff, totaling the A/C. I started to go back several times and recover the engine but never did. As far as I know, it's still there. I will say one thing tho. Dollar for dollar you won't beat a Rotax for durability.

Nice buy on the bike. If I'm ever down your way , can i take it for a spin?

• 1 month later...

Progress. Remaining tasks:

1. Tank mounts to level set it higher

2. Shave the aft fiberglass on the tail

3. Seat-to-tank transition fairing

3. Paint

This is more fun than working on the MJ. Sometimes.....

Image Not Found

• 1 month later...
Lovin the project! I've had my eye on my friends cb750 for some time now, I always nag him to give it a good home, aka my garage! I have a ghia at my other house, well half of one :brows: my Dads ghia and the Manche!

THAT POOR GHIA!!!! Being a huge air cooled VW fan, I hate to see a Karmann Ghia in that kind of shape. Ive had a couple of them over the years and would love to have another. But until then Ill have to be satisfied with my daughter Ghia. Sorry... off topic.

• 2 months later...

Thanks dakal.

UPDATE: My MJ is jealous, been ignoring her for quite awhile sorting out stuff on the bike. Weather's been nice and have been busy tuning the engine exhaust and carb settings and road testing. The larger 604cc displacement Rotax thumper engine plus the approx. 150 lb. weight shaving during the conversion made a huge difference in the performance of this thing. I've maxed out the jetting in the original Bing carb and upgraded the CDI ignition box, and will probably have to invest in a larger 40mm Dellorto carb to realize the full potential of the engine. But it freaking flies now and still has decent street manners so I may leave her as is for awhile. Had her up to 110 today (probably more, speedo was pegged) and it was still nowhere near peaked out. :eek: Smooth, no vibes whatsoever, and was still pulling at 8K. I chickened out at that point.

Gonna have to learn how to do wheelies now. :yes: Happy how this thing turned out, beyond my original speculations performance-wise. Still have quite a bit of cosmetics to do; build a polished alloy wiring/ignition coil enclosure behind the carb under the seat for the HV stuff, more exhaust work, but it's nearly done. Gotta get this thing dynoed to establish a baseline too. Fun project.......

Anybody else working on bike projects?

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

I entered my 5cc Barely Davidson in a endurance race once. Was going for the record. Showed up at the track with a 1000 Gallon tank on a trailer behind the bike. They wouldn't let me run. Seems trailers ain't allowed. Trying to find a set of bike tires that can support the wt of a 1000 gal tank mounted on the handle bars and gonna try again. :D :shake: And that's a darn good lookin machine you got there. :clapping: