wheel sticking out 88MJ stock

ok, i hadn't noticed this until I got new tires but my drivers side front wheel looks to be sitting out about an inch further than the other tires. it almost looks like a wider rim or something. All the other tires are pretty much flush with the body but the driver side front tire looks to be out about an inch, maybe more. Everything drives fine except there is a little play in the steering wheel. TRE's all seem ok. Any ideas?

interesting. Technically, both front tires should stick out a little bit. The MJ is wider in the bed area than the front.

Have you had someone saw the wheel back and forth while you watched the frontend? Check for play in the bushing on the other end of the trackbar, as well as movement of the trackbar bracket relative to the frame, and also look for a crack in the frame between the steering gear and the trackbar bracket.

will do, my passenger side front fender was banged up a little due to my nephew hitting a deer with it before I got it but I pulled it out where you don't notice it, maybe it is actually pulled out more than it should be. I was more lining it up with the rear wheels. I might measure from the inside of the wheel to something underneath for a starting point and get someone to rock the steering wheel back and forth a few times so i can see what might be going on.

thanks for the responses, i'll try to post back my findings.

Actually the front track and rear track (distance between the wheels) is the same on MJs if all four wheels are the same width. But because the rear bed fender wells are about 2" wider than the front, it looks like the front wheels stick out farther than the rear. If your front axle has shifted to the left it's most likely a lot of slop in the track bar.

there is a good amount of play in the steering when driving. Say you are driving straight and have the steering wheel at 12 o'clock, you would have to go to say 11 o'clock to go left or 1 o'clock to go right, then the steering is good.

Could that be related?

I have Grand Cherokee wheels on my 88 MJ 2wd.... when I had new tires put on we noticed a spacer behind the front wheels..... the PO must have installed to give clearance for the center cap when putthing those wheels on........ therefore both of my front tires stick out further than the rear