JET performance chip; is it worth it???

So now that I have swapped the complete '94 HO setup in my MJ, I guess I have the ability to "chip" it; I can get a reputable JET chip for a couple hundred bucks...but is there enough benefit in a chip to justify the couple hundred dollars spent??? Also, has anyone experienced a chip in a 4.0, and if so was there any increase or decrease of fuel economy? Finally, being as there is 160k on the clock, should I not mess with it to avoid additional wear and tear in a well broken in motor?

Not looking to win any races or anything, but living at 7,000 ft elevation, every little bit helps when climbing those mountain passes, especially when towing a trailer (and having to pass all those who choose to enjoy the mountain scenery at 35 mph in a 55 zone...and manage to not see the line of 25 cars behind them as they pass 12 pull-outs :headpop: ).

That said, one final question, I guess there is the option of 2 or 3 different stages of chips. Obviously I don't have a built truck, but I do have some other mods (Intake, header, exhaust), and for whatever reason I fill the thing with Chevron premium grade fuel every time :dunno: :nuts: so I'm used to it and don't care if I HAVE to use premium like the higher stage chips require, and since they are the same price, do I go with that or just the stage 1??? Any info would be great. Thanks

James

I'm sure others will chime in but here is my 2 cents. Once or twice I've almost bought one of those chips but I'm glad I never wasted my money on them. There has been much discussion of said chips on other jeep forums which consists of many complaints. Nothing really negative about the actual product, just the fact it doesn't seem to make any difference. Some reported minor MPG gains from .5 -1.5 but that is a moot point since such gain could be made by your driving style and properly inflated tires. If I were you, I'd save my money for something else as suggested below.

Like you stated, you have 160k on your engine and while you can get many more miles out of the engine it may be time to look into a stroker. I'm in the same boat with 140k on mine and I've lost a lot of "oomph" from all my added weight. Steel rims, lift, larger tires, bull bar, winch, armor, etc..Even after a re-gear I only get 16.5 MPG regardless how I drive. I've done every power mod available and the only way I'm going to squeeze out any more power out of the 4.0 is a stroker. Excellent resource for stroking your jeep is here.

http://www.jeepstrokers.com/forum/

Jeep on...

comanche.gif

Thanks! This is the kind of info I am looking for...anyone else with experience with the JET chip?

Ya, a stroker would be nice, but a little out of my budget...besides the HO runs fine as is, so until there is any issue, I'm not going to mess with it; I just want to use it to its full potential. I also understand gearing can help considerably, but I have to juggle that perfect balance that will optimize power, with fuel economy...this isn't a race truck, nor is it a wheeler...just a nice dd and I'm trying to get as close to an 18-20mpg average as possible, and turning 31's I don't need to go too crazy with it...I am happy with the 3.55's. I just began to toy with the thought of a nice, quick plug and play mod that may help.

James

:smart: If you thinking of spending the money on a chip, then spend your money on a header. This is the best bang for your buck as far as bolt HP for the average joe with the avg. bank roll to drop on the rig. And once you add a good header you will feel the difference. Then when your ready to get the stroker you already have the needed header to add to it. :yes:

No offense, but everyone who replies on this type of thread has little or zero experience regarding performance chips. If you are serious with your question and want informed advice yea or nay, this is really not the forum to look for advice on topics like this, unless you're just phishing for basically useless advice, like " don't waste your money", backed by "expertise" of something they have read somewhere. Like someone mentioned, go to the Jeep strokers forum and get an informed analysis w. dyno results on the many performance enhancements available for the I6, then you can make an informed decision. However, I do agree w. the suggestions to do a header and other mods to a stock engine first. Performance chips will have much more effect on a built engine, even if it's only the proven bolt-on performance mods, that it will on a stocker.

I have zero experience with the JET chip, but have have a little with the Unichip. If you really want to know how performance chips can help performance, check this thread:

http://www.jeepstrokers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=387&hilit=unichip.

While you are there, also do a search for the JET chip; there's considerable info on these too. :cheers:

No offense, but everyone who replies on this type of thread has little or zero experience regarding performance chips. If you are serious with your question and want informed advice yea or nay, this is really not the forum to look for advice on topics like this, unless you're just phishing for basically useless advice, like " don't waste your money", backed by "expertise" of something they have read somewhere. Like someone mentioned, go to the Jeep strokers forum and get an informed analysis w. dyno results on the many performance enhancements available for the I6, then you can make an informed decision. However, I do agree w. the suggestions to do a header and other mods to a stock engine first. Performance chips will have much more effect on a built engine, even if it's only the proven bolt-on performance mods, that it will on a stocker.

Please forgive me. Per the posting rules, I was under the assumpition there were no stupid questions, but appearantly I found one. I had just assumed seeing as how almost every MJ picture posted on this site had other (often newer) vehicles in the background, and many MJ's are spoken of as 2nd vehicles, maybe someone modded one of those other daily drivers and has some real world experience. Furthermore, many on here seem to Jeep with other Jeepers (some of which are newer), whom of which may have modded their Jeeps with a chip. I was simply looking for a general consensus from the few of those who have a little knowledge and/or experience from other references knowing that its rare an MJ is ever modded like this. The internet has become a big place, and to get specific information can be very time consuming, was just trying to save a little. I will be more selective with my questions from now on :thumbsup:

James

CRF136N, James, your question was an excellent question. I was simply pointing you in the right direction to get a better informed answer to your question. Some of the answers you recieved were not quite right. Ask all the questions you want - none are stupid. You will get answers and advice as you asked. Sorry if my advice offended you. :dunno:

hornbrod was just saying like I was saying that it is better to let your engine open up first for true hp, then to get a chip that will have some effect but will have better affect on a engine that has be modded. Then He was merely addressing the fact no one really gave the Dyno results just reflected what they experience of knew of from others they have jeeped with, which is what you seemed to have wanted, but can it hurt to read up on the dyno, then you can see what you can do to the engine for the true effect of the chip to take advantage of it? Hornbrod just wanted you to find some more accurate results as to allow you to better support your decision to use or not to use the chip. And as well as you may got your question answered, but others will find this thread looking for some answers as well and perhaps would like to know the specs of the dyno results, this way they will know where to go and will not have to post and wait for a reply.

Understood. No offense was taken either, was simply explaining my reasoning for starting the thread as it seemed hornbrod was suggesting the question of why I posted on this forum instead of elsewhere. I appreciate the info I did recieve, between this forum and other sources, I have decided against the mod and have already spent the money on other things (finishing the rear suspension work :brows: ). Sure I could get the exact dyno results, but as pointed out, (as with any mod) despite what the dyno says as there are many factors to consider, I wanted a general, "real world" YES, ITS ABSOLUTELY WORTH IT!!! or DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY. Kinda like if I were to ask about an air intake vs stock airbox, obviously an intake would would be popular vote that would make the investment worth it. Between the couple responses on this forum and the people I have spoken with who have personal experience, I have decided its not worth the investment. Done decision, over with...not gonna loose any sleep over it either, money was better spent where I spent it anyway :yes:

James

Understood. No offense was taken either, was simply explaining my reasoning for starting the thread as it seemed hornbrod was suggesting the question of why I posted on this forum instead of elsewhere. I appreciate the info I did recieve, between this forum and other sources, I have decided against the mod and have already spent the money on other things (finishing the rear suspension work :brows: ). Sure I could get the exact dyno results, but as pointed out, (as with any mod) despite what the dyno says as there are many factors to consider, I wanted a general, "real world" YES, ITS ABSOLUTELY WORTH IT!!! or DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY. Kinda like if I were to ask about an air intake vs stock airbox, obviously an intake would would be popular vote that would make the investment worth it. Between the couple responses on this forum and the people I have spoken with who have personal experience, I have decided its not worth the investment. Done decision, over with...not gonna loose any sleep over it either, money was better spent where I spent it anyway :yes:

James

That is what I was getting at in my advice. :thumbsup: So what you get? :brows: :brows: :brows: :D

Understood. No offense was taken either, was simply explaining my reasoning for starting the thread as it seemed hornbrod was suggesting the question of why I posted on this forum instead of elsewhere. James

Well James, the only accurate proof of the pudding of any performance mod are before and after dyno tests. While some may think the olde butt dyno is accurate, it lies. :D Luckily I live close to Hesco, and I do a dyno test after there every major performance mod. For me, a dyno run @ $60 is worth the piece of mind. But the strokers forum is by far the best forum to post performance questions for our 4.0 engines; a fantastic knowledge base resides there and they are always willing to share the wealth. And as far as real world experience w. the UniChip, YES, ITS ABSOLUTELY WORTH IT!!!

Noticed your avatar. Back in the day I did a little moto, mostly on Honda 650XRs, but getting too old for that stuff now. :yes: I just sold my old Husky 360CR 'cause that old 2-stroke was getting too dayem hard for me to start. The current project bike is an 95 MZ SilverStar w. a Rotax 500cc single (electric AND kick start) that I'm slowly converting to a pseudo cafe racer when time permits. Love the 4-stroke singles. :cheers:

That is what I was getting at in my advice. So what you get?

Basically, I got the front lift from the donor...PO of that XJ said it was a 3.5"...I like it at that height with 31's as it looks great and is relatively off road capable, any higher and it will take away from practical DD use, SO, not doing an SOA...decided on the Hell Creek 3" leaf packs as I didn't want to go the add-a-leaf route. Unloaded it measures about 2.75" difference between the front and rear, so I figure the Hell Creek springs will get me close to level & I can block/shakle from there to fine tune the height if need be. They are going to hook me up with some rear shocks...dunno what kind, don't really care...I trust their knowledge as they seem to know what they are doing. From there I am going to go to my local Summit Racing and get some spring perches to mount my Chrslyer 8.25 under the rear (mainly to match the gear ratios, so I can get my 4x4 working). -yes, I know, I was getting ahead of myself in the thread claiming the 3.55 gears as I am currently running the 3.07, but I drove the donor for 5 months before I did the swap, so I know what to expect. LOL, I was all excited, and getting my buddies pumped about doing the HO swap, and its almost an embarassment right now with that 3.07 :shake:

Noticed your avatar. Back in the day I did a little moto, mostly on Honda 650XRs, but getting too old for that stuff now. I just sold my old Husky 360CR 'cause that old 2-stroke was getting too dayem hard for me to start. The current project bike is an 95 MZ SilverStar w. a Rotax 500cc single (electric AND kick start) that I'm slowly converting to a pseudo cafe racer when time permits. Love the 4-stroke singles.

Ya, their definately fun...but its a highly additive and expensive habit...then I started racing earlier this year (desert, enduro, hare scrambles, etc) and I got completely sucked in, beyond hope with no end in sight. I now have to coordinate my work and personal life around my racing/riding schedule as it is now priority :shake: :nuts: Fortunately I have a very understanding boss and my GF left me (over other reasons), so I can make it happen. Amen to that "electric and kick start"; the whole reason why I sacrafised for the extra weight on my 450, so I could have that magic button :yes: My poor streetbike is just sitting and collecting dust now :wall: Prob gonna sell it :( I need the money to get another smaller, lighter 250 dirtbike for the more technical courses anyway (oh ya, and put some more $$$ into the MJ; still need that damn spray in bedliner!!!). Would be interested to see how that Silverstar turns out.

So I bet that MJ of yours with the stroker and the 4.11 gearing prob spins those tires with quite a bit of ease :brows: BTW, great looking truck...usually not a big fan of chrome, but you definately did it right :yes:

James

That is what I was getting at in my advice. So what you get?

Basically, I got the front lift from the donor...PO of that XJ said it was a 3.5"...I like it at that height with 31's as it looks great and is relatively off road capable, any higher and it will take away from practical DD use, SO, not doing an SOA...decided on the Hell Creek 3" leaf packs as I didn't want to go the add-a-leaf route. Unloaded it measures about 2.75" difference between the front and rear, so I figure the Hell Creek springs will get me close to level & I can block/shakle from there to fine tune the height if need be. They are going to hook me up with some rear shocks...dunno what kind, don't really care...I trust their knowledge as they seem to know what they are doing. From there I am going to go to my local Summit Racing and get some spring perches to mount my Chrslyer 8.25 under the rear (mainly to match the gear ratios, so I can get my 4x4 working). -yes, I know, I was getting ahead of myself in the thread claiming the 3.55 gears as I am currently running the 3.07, but I drove the donor for 5 months before I did the swap, so I know what to expect. LOL, I was all excited, and getting my buddies pumped about doing the HO swap, and its almost an embarassment right now with that 3.07 :shake:

Noticed your avatar. Back in the day I did a little moto, mostly on Honda 650XRs, but getting too old for that stuff now. I just sold my old Husky 360CR 'cause that old 2-stroke was getting too dayem hard for me to start. The current project bike is an 95 MZ SilverStar w. a Rotax 500cc single (electric AND kick start) that I'm slowly converting to a pseudo cafe racer when time permits. Love the 4-stroke singles.

Ya, their definately fun...but its a highly additive and expensive habit...then I started racing earlier this year (desert, enduro, hare scrambles, etc) and I got completely sucked in, beyond hope with no end in sight. I now have to coordinate my work and personal life around my racing/riding schedule as it is now priority :shake: :nuts: Fortunately I have a very understanding boss and my GF left me (over other reasons), so I can make it happen. Amen to that "electric and kick start"; the whole reason why I sacrafised for the extra weight on my 450, so I could have that magic button :yes: My poor streetbike is just sitting and collecting dust now :wall: Prob gonna sell it :( I need the money to get another smaller, lighter 250 dirtbike for the more technical courses anyway (oh ya, and put some more $$$ into the MJ; still need that damn spray in bedliner!!!). Would be interested to see how that Silverstar turns out.

So I bet that MJ of yours with the stroker and the 4.11 gearing prob spins those tires with quite a bit of ease :brows: BTW, great looking truck...usually not a big fan of chrome, but you definately did it right :yes:

James

Dude you suck at quoting. :rotfl2: How you mess that up? :shake: