Lugnut recommendation? (MJ and ZJ)

When I swapped my MJ and ZJ wheels and tires a few months ago, I had a mess of a time thanks to mismatched and stripped lugnuts.

Can anyone recommend the best lugnuts (with locks would be a plus) for both my MJ/XJ 10-spoke wheels and stock '93 Grand Cherokee wheels? The GC's factory lugnuts are the kind that have that thin sleeve(?) that fits around the nut. It's worn down on several, and was part of my issue.

I'd like to put new lugnuts on all the way around for both before I either swap tires and wheels back and/or get new tires for the truck.

Almost all the aftermarket lug nuts available are chrome plated. They are solid, so you don't have to worry about that thin cap shearing off ... but after they've been hit with an impact wrench a few times, the chrome will be chipped and broken, and they'll start to rust. Also, a great many of the aftermarket lug nuts need a 13/16" socket, where the OEM lug nuts take a 3/4" socket.

My '88 XJ, which I bought new, still has most of the original factory lug nuts intact. The reason is that I never use an impact wrench. I remove with a good old-fashioned spanner, and I install using a 6-point socket and a torque wrench. The reason the factory used that thin cap is that it's stainless steel. Those won't rust. The ones I have left (about 17 out of the original 20) look as good now as they did six months after I started driving the vehicle. Pep Boys used to sell the OEM stainless cap type for $3 each.

Take your pick. There's a lot to be said for a solid, one-piece lug nut -- but I think they look horrible when the chrome has turned to rust, and I prefer not to deal with it.

I prefer the OEM lug nuts for two reasons. One Eagle has already mentioned - RUST - and the bevel angle is correct for proper seating on the standard Jeep wheels, steel or alloy. I had a set of solid Gorilla nuts supposedly made for Jeep wheels, but the bevel was not the same and they dug down into the wheel holes eventually. Ebay usually has "NEW" take-off OEM Jeep nuts listed for great prices.

I have McGuard lug nuts, I have had the same set on 3 xjs and now my MJ, they are high quality and are used on race cars. the bevel is perfect for my MT street locks wheels and in the past I had AR black steelies and they worked fine on them. I forget how much I paid for them as I have had this set for about 10 yrs.

I should add that I also never allow dealerships to touch my wheel lugs. I do almost all work myself. When I have tires mounted or dismounted, I take the rims and tires to the tire shop, off the vehicle. They do their thing, then I bring them home and I put them on the vehicle.

Aside from preserving the lug nuts, using a torque wrench helps prevent warping the front brake rotors.