Chickens!

Sir Sam

Got up another 8' of fence today, still have about 24' more feet to go before the back fence is all new. Put up a chain link gate and then used some more chicken fence to section off the backyard. Now the parts storage area is also the chicken area. Moved the coop over and then let them out.

Since its also the parts storage area there is lots of weeds and grasses for them to eat. I let 'em out and they went right after the grass and weeds. hopefully they should keep the weed/grass beaten down to reasonible levels for me.

house178.jpg

The old chicken imprint:

house179.jpg

house180.jpg

house181.jpg

house182.jpg

My brother and I grew up with chickens in the back yard. Mainly just for fun, not so much for the eggs. Will be a fun project my kids when they are a bit older. Those barred rocks are good looking chickens. For anyone else that may consider getting chickens, they are fairly cheap to maintain (more so I think than cats/dogs). They also keep your slug and critter population down if you have a garden. They will even fight your cats for dibs on unfortunate mice that cross their path. :D

My brother and I grew up with chickens in the back yard. Mainly just for fun, not so much for the eggs. Will be a fun project my kids when they are a bit older. Those barred rocks are good looking chickens. For anyone else that may consider getting chickens, they are fairly cheap to maintain (more so I think than cats/dogs). They also keep your slug and critter population down if you have a garden. They will even fight your cats for dibs on unfortunate mice that cross their path. :D

Yup, with enough space they will feed themselves, grass, bugs, etc.....mice. This morning I saw a mouse scurry from below a spare window AC unit, to under my green Z. I don't think it will last long over there. :clapping:

Otherwise I'm getting 3 eggs a day right now out of 4 chickens, one is molting so when she is done molting I should be back up to 4 eggs a day. It doesn't sound like much, but it sure adds up!