lift kit decision

hey all..I'm in the process of fixing up my mj and a lift is definitley on my list of to do's...i want to go with a decent size lift for now until i find a beefier rear and the $$$ for SOA... i was thinking a 3"-4" lift for now so i can work out all the kinks and not burn a hole in my wallet( college budget :fs1: )...so what do you all think is a decent lift kit..or should i piece it all together....i kno i am going to need: leaf packs, coils, new shocks, adj. track bar, LCA's and maybe UCA's ..not sure on the SYE..ive heard that for mjs with a small amount of lift it is not needed?..so my question is what is the best deal for me?

31s would be a good choice with a 3" lift and stock gearing. What kind of wheeling?

FWIW, I'd put armor on the list before a lift kit. I've got 5" or so and I still managed to smash my rockers on a simple uphill trail. :( I wish I had built the guards first.

Cost wise, you could piece together add a leafs, 3" coils, or some GC up country stock coils and 2" poly spacers, shocks and an alignment. You might find that your 31's will hit your stock LCA's at full lock, so you could add WJ lower arms (modified) or shim out your steering stops. The 3" lift will end up shifting your front axle a bit without an adjustable track bar but I don't think it is a deal breaker. I drove my 93 ZJ with 3 1/2 lift for 3 years with a stock track bar with no issues.

I have seen some kits out there for 3" budget lift with just these components (not the WJ arms of course) for just a few hundred bucks. I guess it depends on how much of a hurry you are in.

I'd skip the small lift. Put the 31s on and trim as needed (the right rims and they'll fit without).

When the money permits, SOA and do a 5"~ lift in the front.

No sense buying a set of rear springs, front springs, LCAs, etc, just to turn around and either toss 'em or sell them for cheap in short order.