Rear window gasket question

Has anyone re-used a rear window gasket on a different piece of glass?

My glass guy told me today that the gasket was molded and could not be pulled off one piece of glass and put on another.

I know the gasket was sold separately when it was in stock but not sure that once it is on that it can not be removed to put on another window. :dunno:

I know this is taking in account that you can get it out of the truck in good condition.

:cheers:

Are you talking about the one piece rear glass???

The glass is retained with the rubber molding, the glass is sealed in the rubber molding, and the molding is urethane to the body flange. The urethane has to be cut for removal.

In the book (M.R. 278) it saids with the proper prep, the window can be re-installed.

If you need, I can scan the 7 pages that will give you the step-by-step for the window removal, and install, just let me know, you know the addie :D

I removed the rear rubber piece before I painted my truck and reinstalled it after painting. It was not urethaned in, just the glass is urethaned. This was in my '90 which I have owned since new so I know it had never been replaced.

Has anyone re-used a rear window gasket on a different piece of glass?

My glass guy told me today that the gasket was molded and could not be pulled off one piece of glass and put on another.

I know the gasket was sold separately when it was in stock but not sure that once it is on that it can not be removed to put on another window. :dunno:

I know this is taking in account that you can get it out of the truck in good condition.

The gasket can be reused provided it isn't dried out, is in good condition, and is not damaged in removal. I think many (most?) glassman would plan on replacement.

The gasket can be reused provided it isn't dried out, is in good condition, and is not damaged in removal. I think many (most?) glassman would plan on replacement.

I wish there was a replacement to be found. Unless one is on someones shelf collecting dust, there is none left. I called on the last one in the dealerships computer only to have the guy say, yes he had it but, it was ordered for a customer that was on his way to pick it up. No aftermarket support with the exception of sliders which don't use the stock gasket.

Thanks for the inputs. :thumbsup:

We'll find out here today what can be done with what I have. I'm hoping for the best.

Well, good news for me. My glass guy was able to pull the window with the rubber in almost perfect condition out of the Mild build. He pulled the rubber off the window and cleaned it up prior to re-installing it into the Wild build. Could of used a different piece of glass if I wanted to with the rubber. After watching the whole thing it kind of makes since how it all works.

The rubber is more or less just protection for the edges of the window and for looks. The black goo seals the window to the truck. It does however in the process, get on the rubber which makes it a pain to get off in one piece.