Replacing motor mounts?

Ok well I have decided that I will replace my motor mounts before I get a new trans mount. What all is involved in replacing the motor mounts. the passenger side looks fairly easy to get to, but the driver side does not. Will some one tell me exactly what all I would need to do when replacing the mounts......I'm assuming that I'm going to need to support the enging when removing the old mounts, of course one at a time. :dunno:

I'm thinking these http://browndogindustries.com/c2572-0Kj ... nts-1.aspx

Ok well I have decided that I will replace my motor mounts before I get a new trans mount. What all is involved in replacing the motor mounts. the passenger side looks fairly easy to get to, but the driver side does not. Will some one tell me exactly what all I would need to do when replacing the mounts......I'm assuming that I'm going to need to support the enging when removing the old mounts, of course one at a time. :dunno:

I'm thinking these http://browndogindustries.com/c2572-0Kj ... nts-1.aspx

I think i fixed the link

I would make sure to check out the bolts on the passenger side motor mount bracket where the bracket bolts to the block,the bolts like to work themselves out or snap off.

i figure if its a problem with stock mounts it might be a bigger problem with the ones your looking at since they don't look like they are gonna give as much.

might just replace the bolts while your in there.

I would make sure to check out the bolts on the passenger side motor mount bracket where the bracket bolts to the block,the bolts like to work themselves out or snap off.

i figure if its a problem with stock mounts it might be a bigger problem with the ones your looking at since they don't look like they are gonna give as much.

might just replace the bolts while your in there.

replace them with what, like grade 8 from ace hardware, or oem from jeep?????????? :dunno:

either would work,both are 20 years newer then the ones youve got.

I just helped my nieghbor extract the broken bolts out of his XJs block and i think he just ran to NAPA and got some.

Hmm I hate broken bolts, I'm thinking grade 8 hardware from my local ace will be stronger and cheeper :yes:

1 thing on replacing the mounts. my oil filter adaptor is in the way. you may need to get the O-rings for that too. I cannot remove my motor mount bolts with out removing that darn adaptor .

hope this helps

RE: Brown Dog mounts (copied and pasted from a NAXJA thread that has gone a bit off tangent so I won't post the whole link):

Back in Dec I needed new motor mounts and I have herd nothing but great stuff about Brown Dog motor mounts ...

Got them and was more then impressed by them...

Like a normal guy I did not read the directions at install ... after a day or 2 I actually read through them and they state to be very careful not to over tighten the bolts ... so I went back and check and of course i did so i backed them off ...

we recently i noticed the drives side bushing was toast ... and I attributed it to my own stupidity ...

So today I ordered a new set of bushing ...

Well with in a half hour of ordering I get a call from them and he was curious as to why i ordered new bushings so quickly cuz he wants to stand by his product ...

After explaining what happening he then explained there was an issue with the drivers side motor mounts on XJs and he had since redesigned. He then proceeded to tell me to make sure everything is right he was going to cancel my order and send me a new motor mount on "warranty"

Not only did he go out of his way to find out what happened but made it right even after i said i believed it to be my own stupidity.

If I hadn't just bought new OEM mounts, I would be ordering a set of Brown Dog mounts right now.....

Jeff

RE: Brown Dog mounts (copied and pasted from a NAXJA thread that has gone a bit off tangent so I won't post the whole link):

Back in Dec I needed new motor mounts and I have herd nothing but great stuff about Brown Dog motor mounts ...

Got them and was more then impressed by them...

Like a normal guy I did not read the directions at install ... after a day or 2 I actually read through them and they state to be very careful not to over tighten the bolts ... so I went back and check and of course i did so i backed them off ...

we recently i noticed the drives side bushing was toast ... and I attributed it to my own stupidity ...

So today I ordered a new set of bushing ...

Well with in a half hour of ordering I get a call from them and he was curious as to why i ordered new bushings so quickly cuz he wants to stand by his product ...

After explaining what happening he then explained there was an issue with the drivers side motor mounts on XJs and he had since redesigned. He then proceeded to tell me to make sure everything is right he was going to cancel my order and send me a new motor mount on "warranty"

Not only did he go out of his way to find out what happened but made it right even after i said i believed it to be my own stupidity.

If I hadn't just bought new OEM mounts, I would be ordering a set of Brown Dog mounts right now.....

Jeff

Wow Thats service jamminz.gif :bowdown:

Depending on which way the bolt goes in, the driver side may be the easier one. I replaced both of mine recently, and the factory seems to have a habit of putting the passenger side bolt through back to front. Taking the bolt out, the oil filter adapter gets in the way. I ended up having to unbolt the mount bracket from the engine to be able to remove it. Then put the bolt through the new one front to back.