Manchee Vibration

Recently purchased a 1986 2wd MJ Longbed Inline 4cyl. I have noticed at around 40 mph there is a rather serious vibration as if there were tractor tire indentations in the road and I am driving over them, though the road is smooth. I suspect and axle. Am I right and if so which one is the likely culprit or could it be something else?

Thanx in advance.

turn the key to the on position and have someone wiggle the steering wheel while you're looking underneath....I'm betting that the trackbar TRE upper or rubber lower joint is loose.

otherwise, it could be any of the tie rod ends on your drag link or tie rod, or ball joints. the tie rod ends can be tested via the same method as above, but the ball joints you just grab the wheels by the top of the wheel and shake them back and forth. if there is play, then chances are that's your issue.

the ball joint test could also show bad wheel bearings up front. you may have a spindle type wheel bearing, but all of my 2wd 86's actually used 4wd hubs with stub shafts in them (stub shafts are necessary to keep it together btw)

after that, how are your tires? old? worn? worn funny? are they balanced out?....all things to look for.

and if none of that is it, check your driveshaft ujoints for play.

You may have a broken belt in one of your tires. Happened to me once on a long highway trip. I had to turn around and drive back going no more than 35 MPH. It sucked.... check your tires for a huge hump being out of round.

Times 2 on the driveshaft U joints too, will have the same effect....

When I first got my MJ it had a bad vibration at 45+ mph .... Ballanced the drive shaft... nothing, new u joints, nothing .......... ballenced tires ..........nothing ...........It turned out that on of the stock rims was warped! bought some new 15x8 rockcrawler rims fixed it!!!!!

Good luck sir :cheers: :chillin:

Had a similar vibration in our liberty that turned out to be a rear U-joint (a factory non-grease-able that ran out of grease). Is the vibration consistent with just speed? Or can you alter it by applying gas or turning, etc?

Well I got the rear end up on jacks and discovered it is in fact the driveshaft. Have another on the way from California! I also discovered that my rear differential and axle are in fantastic condition! :clapping: