Rubicon Advice Needed ASAP

glundblad

I am considering purchasing a new Rubicon. It has a 6 speed manual and 3.8 liter V6 (202 hp). They are giving me a pretty good price for it.

I read where Jeep was putting in a 280 hp 3.6L V6 into the 2011 Grand Cherokee. Does anyone know if that engine would be installed in the 2010 Rubicon? In other words, can anyone think of a reason to wait for a 2010 or will they be virtually unchanged next year?

Any advice would be appreciated. Large purchases make me nervious.

I have not heard anything definite about the 2010 Wranglers. I expect it will still be the 3.8 for a couple of years. I am not a huge fan of the 3.8 in the Wrangler, but I like the engine in general. Just biased for the 4.0.

I have had the opportunity to drive three different Rubicons quite extensively over the last 2 1/2 years, two 4 doors and one 2 dr. (company cars). If I were in the market for a new vehicle, I would certainly consider one.

The JK's, while much maligned by the Wrangler people in general, has turned out to be a very good vehicle. The 3.8L engine is a proven engine in the Chrysler line and should be of now worry. If you are getting what you believe is a good deal,then by all means go for it! :cheers:

The new 3.6 direct injection engine will be replacing all chrysler V6 engines eventually. It probably won't go into the wrangler until they do the next redesign. At least thats what they told us at Chrysler tech training. If you want that engine in a rubi youll probably have to wait a few years. Like has been previously posted, the 3.8 is a good solid engine, the only problems Ive seen is under full hard heavy compression, the right side of the front axle can make contact with the oil filter and punch a hole in it causing all oil to pump out, but Ive only seen this on jeeps that have been put into the ditch causing severe damage, including bent front axle and body damage. Sister in law has one, and has had no problems. Good luck on the rubi buy. If I was to got one, it would be a rubi!

The 3.8L engine is a proven engine in the Chrysler line and should be of now worry.

If you like passenger car engines that don't produce any torque at the (engine) speeds at which we normally operate, it's okay. Personally, I'd look for a low-mileage used 2-door Unlimited with the 4.0L engine. There's just too much about the JKs that's "unJeep" for me to ever consider buying one. Seeing the article in a recent 4WD magazine (don't recall which one) about the reinforcing needed on the front axles if you expect to wheel it was the final nail in the coffin as far as I'm concerned.