CPS Replacement: How the F***?!

My truck was running funny again (idle jumping around and when i stepped on the gas it went crazy then fizzled out and died). Inspected the CPS wiring and it is toast. Tested the CPS and there's resistance from the dang thing. So i've got a new one sitting right here waiting to be installed but I can't for the life of me get a wrench on the 2 bolts holding the old one in!

What size are the bolts? What'd the best way to remove it and install it? I really don't feel like taking the intake and head off again if i don't have too..... Anyone done this before?

What size are the bolts? What'd the best way to remove it and install it? I really don't feel like taking the intake and head off again if i don't have too..... Anyone done this before?

I don't recall the bolt size, but I've done it twice. You go up from underneath, using the longest extension(s) you have, and maybe a universal adapter at the upper end. Work carefully -- it is possible to drop the upper bolt into the CPS opening in the bellhousing, and if that happens you get to drop the tranny. The upper bolt should come out first, while the CPS is still in place, and should be replaced after the new CPS has been installed and the lower bolt loosely snugged up to hold it.

It's easier with an automatic. The clutch hose gets in the way on the manuals.

Worst possible case, you might have to unbolt the tranny crossmember and drop the rear of the tranny an inch or so to allow better access. Most folks, though, can do the job without resorting to this.

Pull the rear and front Dshafts lower the crossmember down as far as it will go and get at those bolts , It's a lot of work but you get to keep some skin and you don't drop a bolt in the bell houseing . ( Ive done the bolt in the clutch trick it aint fun :mad: ).

Thanks everyone! Roommate and I got it done pretty quick actually. I went out and spent about $40 on extensions and was finally able to reach it. Those of you who guessed 7/16"s win! Is that 11mm? I dunno. Oh and I came close to dropping the freaking bolts into tranny about 3 times (I actually didn't think it'd fit in there... :roll: )

Anyway, the Jeep is running @#$%ing awesome now! Before, at WOT it was alittle sluggish, and never actually felt 'wide open'. Now the truck hauls @$$! And it's rollin on 35's... jamminz.gif

I also went ahead and sleeved the CPS wire with some heat shield from NAPA to avoid what happened to this one (i'll get pics tomorrow).

Thanks again guys :chillin: