Tire and rim question

Did some searching and couldn't find what I needed so....

I'm thinking about picking up some canyon rims off a 2000 TJ. I believe that they are 15x8, can anyone confirm this? I have 235/75/15 tires on the stock 15x7 rims now, will the same tires fit on the new canyons? And will back spacing be a problem? The spare tire on one of the new rims is a 30x9.50x15...

had a set myself, looks great on an mj. yes, 15x8, yes your tires will fit, no, backspacing will not be a problem, in fact, just about perfect. post up some pics after you put them on!

Awesome! Thanks Wahoo. I will post some pics when/if I get em.

The spare tire on one of the new rims is a 30x9.50x15...

This may be a problem if you need to use it on the front and you are not lifted. While it will go on, it will rub badly, but could get you out of a jam. Otherwise, I agree, no problem using them :thumbsup:

TJ Canyons are 15x8 but there's a very similar-appearing wheel from the ZJ that's 15x7. If you want 15x8, be sure that's what you're getting.

IMHO an 8" rim is too wide for 235/15-15s.

Taz, the pic of my truck is with 30" tires before I went to 31's. And the only time I had any rub was at FULL lock on the driver's side, and it was minimal.

And while 8" rims are at the outer limit for 235/75 tires, you're still ok. Recommended rim width is actually 6.5" but anything 6-8" will work. You just need to grab some 30" tires after you get the wheels. :brows:

Bought the rims.

Couple of them had light curb rash, but I cleaned that up pretty good with a file. However, the rims have some corrosion on the back that I can't get off. What is the best way to remove it?

I don't think I'm going to put the 235s on these rims. I don't like the way that it will have to fit.

Sounds like a good excuse to buy some new tires. :brows: Recommendations?

Bought the rims.

Couple of them had light curb rash, but I cleaned that up pretty good with a file. However, the rims have some corrosion on the back that I can't get off. What is the best way to remove it?

I don't think I'm going to put the 235s on these rims. I don't like the way that it will have to fit.

I am guessing you are not intending to put any lift on it and go much bigger on the tires, but staying stock and just going to a 30" tire. That being said, there are a hundred choices obviously, and depends mostly on how you plan to use them. Pavement pounding only, light off-road, heavy off-road? With no lift, stock size tires (for now :brows: ) I ASSume you are most on-road. Then of course there is always the appearance factor for mall crawling. That being said, if you are going to spend the money on new and want a high end tire, the 30" Bridgestones I had that are in my pic were awesome. Best truck A/T tire I've ever had in overall performance. Super quiet, VERY nice ride, aggressive tread and great looking IMHO. They were the Dueler A/T Revo's. They have regular Dueler A/Ts, but the Revos are a completely different tread. I have 31 BFGs right now and when they need to be replaced I will definitely get another set of Revos. If budget is a concern, lot's of good off-brand stuff available, or with a little patience find a good used set of something, although 30" tires seem harder to come by used.

Bought the rims.

I am guessing you are not intending to put any lift on it and go much bigger on the tires, but staying stock and just going to a 30" tire. That being said, there are a hundred choices obviously, and depends mostly on how you plan to use them. Pavement pounding only, light off-road, heavy off-road? With no lift, stock size tires (for now :brows: ) I ASSume you are most on-road. Then of course there is always the appearance factor for mall crawling. That being said, if you are going to spend the money on new and want a high end tire, the 30" Bridgestones I had that are in my pic were awesome. Best truck A/T tire I've ever had in overall performance. Super quiet, VERY nice ride, aggressive tread and great looking IMHO. They were the Dueler A/T Revo's. They have regular Dueler A/Ts, but the Revos are a completely different tread. I have 31 BFGs right now and when they need to be replaced I will definitely get another set of Revos. If budget is a concern, lot's of good off-brand stuff available, or with a little patience find a good used set of something, although 30" tires seem harder to come by used.

Yeah, no lift right now, maybe something later on. At this point, It will be on mostly pavement driving with some light off-road. I'm fine with minor rubbing at full lock. I have a friend who can get me 30% off Firestone/Bridgestone tires. :clapping: Unless I can find some good used tires, I will get some new Bridge or Firestones.

Like I said, eventually I plan on getting a lift, gears, and bigger tires, etc. But for right now I just want these tires to be slightly oversized and good for both pavement and offroad.