2.5L AMC 150 exhaust cracked again!

The first time this happened I chalked it up to age/mileage/rust. Then it happened again Fri. My exhaust system cracked and broke at the converter inlet weld flange (manifold side). The first time it happened the pipe broke completely so I scavenged another one from the jy. Granted I pulled it from a northern vehicle but it looked ok. Fri I heard rattling and, sure enough, the replacement pipe was cracked 1/2way through in the same spot.

I attempted to weld the crack but the pipe was so thin I blew right through it. This time I decided to fix it once and for all. I dropped the system, cut the pipe off at the flange, ground it out, fitted a piece of 2" stainless exhaust pipe into the flange, and welded it. I took a 2" ID sleeve and welded the repaired flange on the front half of the exhaust. It should be ok now. I have 2 questions about this: 1. has anyone else had this problem? and 2. WTF?

What kind of condition are your engine and trans mounts in? The little 2.5 is a beast for shaking. That is why there is supposed to be a mini shock absorber mounted to the front of it. Do you still have the mounting bracket at the front of the cat con that runs to the trans cross member mount?

The mounting bracket that bolts to the front of the cat is still there, in fact that seems to be exactly where the vibration stops. If you watch the exhaust pipe the front part (under the oil pan) shakes like crazy and it's forced to stop by the mount at the front of the cat. I can see where that constant vibration cracks the weld if the pipe starts to rot. Is there a shock absorber for the motor as well? The motor mounts themselves seem ok.

I called a few parts stores today and no one had a clue what I was talking about. Anyone know the name of this thing?

I would say its a hydraulic engine damper.. I know you can get them aftermarket for Honda's. I looked on Rock auto with no luck.. :hmm: :dunno: