Jump to content

Wiper motor replacement


Recommended Posts

Pete asked me to post this in the DIY forum. If he thinks it good enough to be here who am I to argue? So here it is ~ I can only comment on what worked on my 1989 Comanche. I am not an encyclopedia of all things Comanche; just all things My Comanche.

 

The windshield wipers on my 1989 Comanche seem to go out every time I use them ~ usually during a massive down pour. When on the rare occasion they do work, it isn’t for long. And I seem to only get one speed out of the motor ~ slow. I decided to order a new wiper motor and see if that would do anything to improve my safety issue. I decided on ordering a new $50 Crown wiper motor from Teamcherokee.com ~ part number 56001402 ->

 

The shiny new motor->

 

Took the cowl cover off and unhooked the windshield wiper fluid tubes off.

Cowl off ->

 

There are 4 T-30 torx bolts that hold the two wiper arm mounts ->

 

There are a total of four 7/16th nuts, two above the map sensor and two others on the fire wall that hold the cowl support brace on ->

 

Inside on the back side of the map sensor is the brace that the two 7/16 nuts support. There is one 10mm bolt that secures the motor bracket in place that needs to be removed.

 

It took a little finagling, but I did get the wiper assembly out ->

 

 

I removed the old motor off the frame and paid careful attention to the positioning of the arms and motor. Good thing I took pictures before taking the old bushings off, because I forgot about half way in, lol. Quick note about the rotating assembly arms and motor position – the exact position of the motor’s drive shaft and arms do not matter. The motor turns in one direction and 360 degrees. The rotating assembly is set up so the arm start positions and furthest points away are constant.

 

I also decided to replace the 3 linkage bushing cups on the motor arms. I picked up a Dorman HELP! Wiper Linkage Bushings pack at AutoZone ~ part number 49447. It is an assortment pack and included the 3 bushings needed to complete the project. The old ball and bushing socket ->

 

The new bushings look like this ->

 

One bushing in place, two more to go ->

 

Ready to go back in ->

 

I got everything back in place and even reinstalled the rubber motor boot. I was sure to add RTV to the front and back of the bolts and nuts that went through the fire wall – don’t want any rust or unnecessary water in the cowl/ wiper assembly area if possible. I also used some Lock-tite on the screws that hold the motor on to the frame.

Everything thing seems to be working great, but I have not had it out for real world testing. For now, it seems to have all the features you would expect, slow to faster intermediate mode, slow, and fast wipes. I will have to play with the exact position of the arms to get the most of the full cycle of movement. Looks real promising at this point.

Final picture with wiper blades and arms installed ->

 

I have documented this and many other upgrade to my Comanche in my build thread here -> viewtopic.php?f=7&t=8051.

Thanks for looking, Drahcir

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Hey Jeff,

I follwed his directions and B-A-N-G!!, one hour and 4 beers later, I have a windshield wiping machine!!!! :bowdown:

4 beers an hour and you still managed to get it to work - awesome!

 

I replaced my bushings the other day and this helped alot rich. Of course, once again, I had a screw left over when i was done. :hmm:

I am glad it helped. :yes:, I tossed that extra screw in there when you were not looking :cheers: .

 

Now if Rich can only figure out how to lower the right wiper post so the hood will clear all the way up, that would really be nice. :D

I am still upset that I have never seen it advertised that there is a problem with wiper arm interference. I don't know if the situation is the same with your hood Don, but the gap in between the hood and the front header is a bit more than I would like. I am over it now, but it did kind of bug me in the beginning. I will have to start thinking about that one for you. No promises on that one. :cheers:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am still upset that I have never seen it advertised that there is a problem with wiper arm interference. I don't know if the situation is the same with your hood Don, but the gap in between the hood and the front header is a bit more than I would like. I am over it now, but it did kind of bug me in the beginning. I will have to start thinking about that one for you. No promises on that one. :cheers:

 

I knew it coming in that the Reflexxion hoods had this problem. Forget how, but I read it somewhere. Paul is thinking about this too, as we all have the same problem. :eek: I just use the first hole for the prop rod; if I need it all the way up I pop off the right wiper arm. But am not going to put the struts back on until we figure a solution. As far as fit, for me it's perfect. The dimensions were exactly the same as the old hood, but I had to fiddle quite awhile with the front/rear shims and hinge bolt positions to make it exacerly right.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...