low ratio carrier???????????

so they say that going from 3.07-3.73 ratios to 4.10-4.88 ratios you "need" :smart: to buy the low ratio carriers. i don't know a hole lot about this so if you could tell me why you need the low ratio carrier that would be nice. and also can you go from 3.07 like me to 4.56 and be alright with out the low ratio carrier :dunno:

because as the ratio gets deeper, the pinion gear gets smaller. Like Genovast said, that increases the space between it and the ring gear. The carrier is thicker to make up the distance and gain proper gear face engagement. Some axles have "thick cut" gears available for them, and you can use the original carrier (the thickness of the ring gear makes up the difference)

Jeff

It is referred to as the carrier break. The break is entirely dependent upon the axle.

- For example, the Ford 8.8 does not have a carrier break.

- If I remember correctly the D30 breaks between 3.55 and 3.73. So 3.55 and up uses a different carrier than 3.73 and down.

Willy

I don't have the link handy, but check Yuccaman's website....he has an excellent page on it with complete details on several different axles, front and rear, including carrier breaks for all of them.

Jeff

both my dana 30 to 3.73 and my dana 44 to 3.73

For the D30...

- If I remember correctly the D30 breaks between 3.55 and 3.73. So 3.55 and up uses a different carrier than 3.73 and down.

From a quick Google search it looks like I was correct on this. You will need the lower carrier to regear the D30 to 3.73.

The D44 carrier break is between 3.73 and 3.92. Your current carrier will be fine with the 3.73 gears.

Also found a couple other carrier breaks and other tech info here.

Willy

yea but if i put in 4:10 gears i will have to get low ratio carriers right

Compared to setting up gears, carriers are cheap. You already need a carrier for the D30. Why spend all that money on something that you may not be happy with in the end?

Willy

Sorry. :( Installing gears is just one of those things that takes more skill/tools than the average wrench-turner has. And it costs a lot to have a pro do it. Swapping axles is usually more cost effective as long as you're staying within stock gear ratios.