ball joint testing

how would one "test" his balljoints... i reaaally need to find the culprit of this stinkin death wobble... its absolutely killer.

ive had the front tires balanced and that helped a bit... but then it came back, havent tried the back tires. (only happens at 45, or if i hit a bad spot going 45+)

Have you checked both ends of the track bar by watching the ends while a buddy bounces the steering wheel back and forth against full-lock?

Cracked oem control arm bushings are also a good culprit for DW.

For checking the balljoints, jack the axle up from the center and watch for movement in the balljoints as the tire leaves the ground. May even be able to move the steering knuckle in and out by hand.

You can also check the ball joints by jacking the side you want to check up till the tire is about 2" off the deck, Then geta good long prybar and slip it under the tire . Next lift up on the bar , usualy you will not have any upward movement if you do they most likely toasted .

also grab the tire top and bottom ( while still jacked up of course ;) ) and rock it in and out from top to bottom, this is the way to check the wheel bearings but I have had a bad upper balljoint feel just like a bad wheel bearing .

thses operations are best done with a helper to see what is movin while your movin it :D

hope this helps

yeah, I'm pretty sure my LCA's could be the culprit. lookin pretty weary after 17 years... any other things to check?

this is no mild shaking... this is DEATH wobble... my friend was following me while it happened as i went 55 or so and he said mud and shhtuff was flying out all over, and described it as "your truck was trying to throw you out of it"

Most death wobble I have seen has been from a combination of stuff , the most likly suspects being CA bushings Track bar and always the alingment .

if anything is outta whack, a misalinged front end will drag out and put it in your lap :eek:

I have seen several people have nazty DW with just the alingment out ,

just depends on the heep and the usage it has had .

From my experience, I replaced about every joint and replaceable part with no luck. Turns out for me it wasn't worn parts. Finally went away when I got the RE drop brackets. My theory is that they returned the castor(I think thats the one) back to where it should be. You may be able to get the same results with longer LCAs.

randimal: my jeeps stock height... i wish that were my problem :D

pong: its always had wobble it has just gotten worse though... jeep hasnt been wheeled hard enough to cuase bent steering or any of that..yet (blown axle u-joint shaft can turn a good 1/4-5/8" without tire movin :eek: )

so i guess the next check is bustin out the tape measure to ballpark my alignment?

yeah,

so how would one test his LCAs?

Use a large screw driver and a flashlight , Look nito each joint and make sure the rubber is not cracked and that the sleeve in the rubber bushing is still centered . then take pry bar or lg screwdriver and pry the lca's up , down and side to side, your just looking for too much movement and or missing /cracked rubber bushings.

Also on a side note , if you have any bushings that are coverd in oil and have been for a while . Oil breaks down rubber making it super spongey after a while , if you have any like that it's a good Idea to change them . A super spongey bushing is like none at all

I had terrible DW with my stock XJ awhile back...

Turned out the bolt on the trac bar (axle side) had lost it's nut and was about 1/2" out :brows: Shook like the dickens on the freeway.. :eek: I keep a spare bolt now just incase...hahahhaha i'm paranoid man... :nuts:

I had terrible DW with my stock XJ awhile back...

Turned out the bolt on the trac bar (axle side) had lost it's nut and was about 1/2" out :brows: Shook like the dickens on the freeway.. :eek: I keep a spare bolt now just incase...hahahhaha i'm paranoid man... :nuts:

that was my brothers first idea too so we torqued that up... good and snug.

my problem seems to happen worse if i take a couple hard corners (curvy GA roads) then driving normal itll wobble more for a while (but not during the corners)