Project Redface DD

Well I have had about 6 Cherokees but finally got bit by the Comanche bug. After seeing a couple of the cleaner build ups I came across here I really wanted one of my own. Found this project from the original owner. They were asking $900 which was way too high IMO. Offered $600 and they accepted. :doh:

The good?

Bought from original owner

Lwb, 6 cyl/AW4/4x4

Body in pretty good shape. Original paint, very minimal rust

The bad?

Loud rod knock on engine

Clear coat peeling

Interior has minimal wear but after 18 years it needs a refresh

So plans are to replace engine/trans with low mile units. Repair what rust there is. Do body and paint to near new standard. 2" lift with 31" tires.

I got a 98 engine/trans from Willie for $150. Got it installed and running great. Had to splice the line going into the trans and do some heavy duty cleaning of the injectors and intake. There was thick carbon build up. I would guess the previous owner did a ton of short hall driving. I am going to run it this way for a couple of weeks before launching into the rust spots. :cheers:

• 2 weeks later...

Update. I have been driving it for a couple weeks. Wire wheeled a couple of rust spot and painted em. Now I notice a couple more!

Overall shot

Rust spots

98 Engine and transmission in place.

Compared to the XJs drives much more like a truck. Wife prefers her 2wd Toyota! Brakes a little weak you go to make final stop. Not sure if that will change or is just how it is. A few noises I need to track down too. Much more road and vehicle noise than the XJs. Not sure why.

Yes, we installed the engine/trans as a package. Both engine and trans seem to be running/shifting great!

That's good. :thumbsup: Hopefully that transmission lasts for a while, but just prepare yourself for eventually replacing or rebuilding it. Did you drop the pan and change the filter?

Willy

Yes, we installed the engine/trans as a package. Both engine and trans seem to be running/shifting great!

That's good. :thumbsup: Hopefully that transmission lasts for a while, but just prepare yourself for eventually replacing or rebuilding it. Did you drop the pan and change the filter?

Willy

Yep. Did all the normal maintenance items ie trans filter, crankshaft main seal, oil filter o-rings, etc. If it needs replacing no issue but at this point it is shifting fine. Pretty amazing what an aw-4 can take.