classifieds break downs

another truck forum i am a part of has their classifieds broken down into three groups that i think would be a good idea to keep things easier. they have it like this: FOR SALE, WANTED, and EBAY. maybe we could improve on that by having the ebay one changed to ADS where it just lists ebay, autotrader, and things like that. have the ads one contain stuff that noone in the club owns and just found online or knows of stuff for sale near them. just a thought. here is the site so you can see what you think for a makeover maybe or just for ideas.

http://www.myoldtruck.com/vboard/index.php

alex

I plan to expand the classifieds if it picks up some more. Right now there are only a few new posts per week. But then again, maybe I should split it now before it gets too big. Splitting means I'd have to go through each past post to put them in the proper catagory. :(

Question for Pete....Are you the only Moderator on this forum? I havent seen anyone else but if so you could get some trusted help or a friend that you know well and has an idea as to how to work a website to take on some of the load. I just thought i would lay that out here since splitting the classifieds would be tideous work for one man to do.

Cole

Eagle is helping out with moderator duties. I'm still trying to find someone who can figure out how to use the Cpanel-X stuff so we can put the rest of the site together. I may just break down and find a local guy to teach me enough so that I'm not quite as completely ignorant as I am now.

I know a guy that might be able to figure it out. He is currently out of country for a little while longer so i will get up with him and see what he says about it. We run a website together and he knows all that computer crap.

Cole

• 4 months later...
Eagle is helping out with moderator duties. I'm still trying to find someone who can figure out how to use the Cpanel-X stuff so we can put the rest of the site together. I may just break down and find a local guy to teach me enough so that I'm not quite as completely ignorant as I am now.

I can help you with whatever you need. I was a web developer in a previous life, and still do a lot of web application development for fun. I'm the author of PUArcade, which is a popular arcade component you can see on a lot of websites.

Are you planning on using a content management system? I like the CMS that jeeps unlimited uses: www.pragmaticutopia.com.

Shoot me a PM.

Content management system? Waaaay over my head there. Could you elaborate?

Its basically a web application, like phpbb is. It has a front end and a back end, like phpbb. Instead of only administering forums though, it allows you to administer an entire website through an administration section. As an example, if you look at the jeepsunlimited site, you see all these articles, links, banners and neat stuff. They didn't have to do any html or programming to make that stuff work. They just go into the administration section, type the content into a rich text box, and publish it. It automatically shows up wherever they told it to. It allows you to let users see things that non-users can't, and more.

From there, you can have stuff like arcades, polls, guest books, calendars, pretty much anything you can think of, that just plug into your CMS, with no coding.

Very easy to use, and very flexible.

Let me know if I can help.

The CMS that jeepsunlimited and I use is called Joomla. More information at www.joomla.org.

Content management system? Waaaay over my head there. Could you elaborate?

Its basically a web application, like phpbb is. It has a front end and a back end, like phpbb. Instead of only administering forums though, it allows you to administer an entire website through an administration section. As an example, if you look at the jeepsunlimited site, you see all these articles, links, banners and neat stuff. They didn't have to do any html or programming to make that stuff work. They just go into the administration section, type the content into a rich text box, and publish it. It automatically shows up wherever they told it to. It allows you to let users see things that non-users can't, and more.

From there, you can have stuff like arcades, polls, guest books, calendars, pretty much anything you can think of, that just plug into your CMS, with no coding.

Very easy to use, and very flexible.

Let me know if I can help.

The CMS that jeepsunlimited and I use is called Joomla. More information at www.joomla.org.

Is it free? I can't make heads or tails of their website. :hmm: