Cooling system?

Well, when i started tearing into my parts pig i found these two hoses and I'm not sure what they are for, they go from the radiator to the tranny(aw4), are they part of the heavy duty cooling system? the truck had both cooling fans in it. also if they are a useful part, will they work on a ba-10/5?

its the two smaller ones at the top and bottom of the rad

Image Not Found

here they are running from the right

Image Not Found

pic from the front of the two running to the back, they go right ointo the side of the tranny

pic of my DD setup

Image Not Found

Yes those are tranny cooler lines for an automatic trans only. Not sure if part of a heavy duty package or not. Most auto trans have them. They will not work for a BA-10/5 as they are not needed. If you are converting to manual, just disconnect them and put plugs over the rad ports so nothing can get in there.

Does anyone have a good pic or write up on how the factory electric fan is installed? I'm looking in the FSM and the elec manual and its not really helping me here. i know alot of guys are puting their fan on a seperate switch but i just want to hook it up the factory way for now so any help here would be GREAT!

If that radiator is going into a truck with a manual gearbox, you can always use the tranny cooler or either an oil cooler, running your engine oil through it, or a power steering cooler.

I took a look at my 87. There are two factory connections from the "Lighting Harness" in your picture- a red and black wire for the fan power and a gray and yellow wire from the same harness that plugs into the "Open port" above the radiator hose. The fan mounts in the open tabs at bottom and the two screws at the top. I don't have an electrical schematic to look at to see if there are other requirements.

I am not sure if I would use the radiator for a power steering cooler. At 210F it would seem like you might be heating the power steering fluid instead of cooling it. All the power steering coolers I have seen are self contained to the PS pump and hoses.

Why would anyone need an engine oil or manual trans oil cooler? Last I checked, the oils we put into them are designed to be at a certain temperature, not cooler. It's bad enough that an auto trans has those weak little fluid lines running around just waiting to fail, I wouldn't want that with my engine oil too. :ack: