Scratched window

When I first picked up the MJ from my dad I noticed a wide scratch running the length of the drivers side window about 1" wide. The culprit seems to be one of the metal clips that hold the window seal in place. The clip rusted and was bent out of shape which rubbed against the window when it went up and down. The other clips aren't even close to the window so my only guess is the window mechanism is tweaked. I know something isn't right because the window can be rocked in a forward / backward motion. Any advice where to start? My 01 XJ developed the same problem after some jackal rat bastard :fs1: broke my window and the window repair guy screwed up the install. Apparently there is a kit to fix it here.

http://www.steigerperformance.com/products/sp12001.html

Anyways any really good window scratch repair products that anyone recommends?

JC Whitney sells a glass polishing compound. Depending on how bad it is, white automotive polishing compund (not the red "rubbing" compound) followed by (believe it or not) a good brand of whitening toothpaste may be all you need. Use a felt polishing wheel in an electric drill.

If you want to try the polishing compound, get a piece of scrap window glass somewhere and test it on that first, before attacking the truck window.

Thanks for the tip, I'll give the polishing compound a try. I think I still have some hidden away....

*UPDATE* Bah, the polishing cleaned up the small grooves pretty well but the deeper ones still remain. Guess I'll try some compound specifically for scratched glass. Hope that works because I'd rather spend my money on something else.

If you can catch your fingernail in the scratch, none of the polish products will work for you. The glass is too hard to do very much when it comes to polishing. The polish compounds are really only for micro scratches and haze, and usually you can't even get all of that out.I would just keep an eye out for a new/used window. I'm sure someone on here can help you out with that... no telling what a junkyard would want for just a glass, probly be cheaper to buy a whole door. Good luck!

I know a new window + install around here costs a little over $200 which is too much. What I probably need to do is find a good 91-96 donor XJ since I need some odds/ends. Window, gauge cluster, armrest, front driveshaft, etc..