Bump Stops Help please!

Does anyone have any experience removing front bump stops? I am replacing the coil springs on the XJ and am completely at a standstill.

I have tried pipe wrenches and eveything else that will fit in there. I have the vehicle completely jacked up (by frame) and the axle is hanging to it's fullest extent (without discinnecting the trac bar). Shocks are off vehicle (for replacement). I do have the spring compressors on and compressed and the spring is free, but it will not come out due to the bump.

Any speedy assistance is appreciated!

I recently replaced mine and used some huge channel locks I had on the metal top of it inserted thru the springs while the suspension was hanging. I did douche it down well with PB Blaster the night before and they screwed right out. But you may have to soak it longer mate if it's rusted good. :D

Thanks guys - I appreciate the answers. :D

I could never get the daymn things loose, even with a pipe wrench. I re-positioned the spring compressers and disconnected the steering arm (to drop the axle further). I finally got them wiggled out of there and the new ones in.

Took me about 3 hours to do a 1 hour job :oops:

I had a hell of a time getting mine thru the coil wraps. The OME coils have 12 wraps and I had to use a crowbar to open two wraps wide enough while at the same time trying to squeeze the new bumpstops thru. But all that matters is that you got 'er done. :D

You were rotating them the right way, yes? I only ask because I watched a friend struggle with a fitting yesterday. Doesn't loosen very well when you're tightening it. :D What makes it even funnier is that I asked him if he was going the right way (sarcastically, as I already knew the answer) and he snapped at me, "Yes, dang it!" and then realized his error. :clapping: