Noise from transmission, AX5

My parents are looking for a new nr.2 car and yesterday I looked at a 2000 XJ 2.5TDI they found interresting. Car was in excelent shape, rust free, nice paint, engine driven only 80km after a complete top-end rebuild (Those VM motori diesels are extremly sensitive to overheating and notorious for cracking the heads)

Only thing that bothers me is a whining noise from the transmission, it sounded pretty much like i was driving in low-range when i actually was keeping higway speed in 2wd. 99% shure its a ax5/np231 combo. How bad is this? Seller said it was a common problem on these cars and nothing to worry about, but i don't trust him on that one....

Despite this they eventually decided to purchase it and they're going to pick it up early next week :cheers:

low gear lube, bad bearing @ front of cross/lay shaft, bad midplate bearings are about all that could cause that.

check the t-case shift linkage tho to be sure it's connected and adjusted properly and actually in 2wd not 4 hi.

My parents are looking for a new nr.2 car and yesterday I looked at a 2000 XJ 2.5TDI they found interresting. Car was in excelent shape, rust free, nice paint, engine driven only 80km after a complete top-end rebuild (Those VM motori diesels are extremly sensitive to overheating and notorious for cracking the heads)

Only thing that bothers me is a whining noise from the transmission, it sounded pretty much like i was driving in low-range when i actually was keeping higway speed in 2wd. 99% shure its a ax5/np231 combo. How bad is this? Seller said it was a common problem on these cars and nothing to worry about, but i don't trust him on that one....

Despite this they eventually decided to purchase it and they're going to pick it up early next week :cheers:

Your transmission will be the NV3550HD, since the diesel was not sold in the US I don't have any experience, nor does anyone else, with this particular transmission.

I will say this, the NV3550 behind the petrol XJs is a very stout trans. the NV3550HD is supposed to be a heavyer duty version of the trans.

As far as a whining, that doesn't sound right. It could indicate a bearing in the transmission is failing, but for a compete home mechanic that shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Ok, someone let me know if I've done this right, but I found a site that pegged the "Cherokee 2.5ltdi (early)" at 85 KW and 300 NM. Converted with formulas I found online that gives me 114 hp and 221 ft-lbs. yes? :hmm: Not quite as nice as my Libby CRD, but I'd still buy one. :D

Ok, someone let me know if I've done this right, but I found a site that pegged the "Cherokee 2.5ltdi (early)" at 85 KW and 300 NM. Converted with formulas I found online that gives me 114 hp and 221 ft-lbs. yes? :hmm: Not quite as nice as my Libby CRD, but I'd still buy one. :D

:thumbsup: on that one Pete!

Wikipedia says: 1994–2001 Jeep Cherokee (power: 118 hp (88 kW) @ 4000 rpm; torque: 221 ft•lbf (300 N m) @ 2000 rpm) Definetly not a 4.0 but it gets the job done!

Looks like I will have to crawl under the car once we get it here and snap some pictures of the transmission, otherwise it will be just guessing.

Which trans was it in '00 4.0 TJs? My sis had one and it was kinda noisy. Not a whining though, more of a rattling whenever the clutch was disengaged.

That would be the NV3550.

Your transmission will be the NV3550HD....

Are you shure about that? :???: Thats not what I have read on other websites, but again :dunno:

Positive, in 2000 the XJs switched to the NV3550. The Diesel 2.5 is the NV3550.

However the petrol 2.5 is the AX5.

Nope not quite as nice as the KJ CRD. But this is a couple of generations older technology, so its pretty decent, the newer VM28 in the US KJ is direct injected, common rail, with a very high pressure injection system, something about like 20,000PSI, with the best part of all being the variable geometry turbo.

The newest VMs have even higher injection pressures, something like 36,000PSI.

Looks like I will have to crawl under the car once we get it here and snap some pictures of the transmission, otherwise it will be just guessing.

Well, I know what my guess is gonna be.