not a good way to start my day

mjeff87

Been here at work since 0300 trying to get our 165 tons of refrigeration system running again (it’s a huge POS). Finally got one compressor going…….have a service team en route to get the other ones up but they’re 1.5 hours away and have to wait until 7:15 to get compressor oil. It’s gonna be a long day……

Here’s the crap system :fs1: :

Image Not Found

the one compressor that’s running (barely)

Image Not Found

control system….see all the junk in red? That means not running (and the one in blue is DOA and shut off) :mad:

Image Not Found

Sounds like my average day at work! I get paid to fix "POS" systems like that, and I actually enjoy it :nuts: Guess I have inhaled to much refigerant-gas and become addicted to it.... Seriously, I would have loved to bee there and helped you out, nothing like a challenging job that really lets me use all my knowledge! I know that the customers who have to pay for service people and loose money while the system is down probably see it the other way...

So, what was the problem? What compressors are you running? What refrigerant? What supervision system are you running on the PC? Is it for cooling, freezing or AC? Whats this, whats that????? Sorry for the questions, I just find this very interesting!!

(sorry for the delayed response, the wife and I ran away for the weekend and didn't tell anyone....:D )

Joop - there are four 35 ton Carslyle compressors on the rack system, and a seperate 25 ton Frick in the seperate engine room...all running on R507 (well, some of them are running anyway....), 4 evap coils total, 2 supplying a 36 degree cool room and the other 2 supplying a -10 freezebox . Long story short, all of the oil got pushed out of the rack and is logged in two evaporator coils that feed our cool room, and I can't get anything running enough to pull the oil back on the suction side. The Frick was an add-on we did about 5 years ago and it can be valved and programmed to run on either side of the system in tandem with the Carslyles......it was running on the -10 side but I've swapped it over to the +36 side for now so I can keep temp in the box and let the one Carslyle that is running pull on the freezer side (I've disabled one freezer coil as well to keep suction pressure tolerable....it's not holding temp but it's the best I can do with what I have at the moment). I can't get anything running long enough to even do a hot gas defrost on the coils to push the oil back, either. There's an oil level sensor in the seperator that's disabling the rack due to low oil level.....I've got a hand pump here that I can put oil in, but I gots no oil :headpop:

UPDATE- got oil in, got 2 running and got our oil back. Now the #2 compressor that's DOA is in the process of getting disconnected from the rack (bearings are fried from an unrelated problem), and it's getting swapped out tomorrow morning.

Joe - yes, that's a wood floor (albeit a bit dirty.....)

Jeff

Tricky one, especially without oil...

Just done replacing a 60HP 8cylinder daikin compressor that suffered the same problem. It finally died when the main relay jammed in ON position and keept the darn ting running even if all safety devices (oil pressure swith, motor thermal switch etc) was triggered. This is what we found when we dropped the oil pan...

Thats the remains of 8 rods and a piston... :ack:

little JB Weld on that and you're good to go........ :rotf:

All of our compressors are screws, and we've already replaced 3 of them due to floodback due to poor system design not accomodating all the return liquid from hot gas defrost.

Simple physics, you can only compress a liquid but so much.....

Jeff