Removing rear XJ door little window.

Geonovast

Anyone have a write-up on how to remove and install the small window on a rear XJ door? XJ i just got had one smashed out and I have a good door for the window donor, I'd switch the doors but the trim package isn't the same.

i just had this pleasure of removing it, to prep the doors i got from pat for paint.

its a pain.

remove door panel, there's one small torx on the top of the door jam, then there's a rivet under the trim around the window. remove the trim, drill out the rivet. and there's a channel holding the window up from the bottom. 2 torx botls i think, unbolt the channel and the glass slides down. drill out the rivet and remove the bolt and it will finagle out.

the wing glass is also attached to the main window guid channel inside the door. so it looks like a big number 4 with the wing and the channel as the stem, best i can describe so you can see that it all comes out together.

enjoy, any questions let me know i just dismantled every peice of both doors.

very similar, except the front has 2 torx screws on the top edge, and no rivet. the rear has one torx on the top edge, and a rivet that the front does not have. otherwise its almost the same process.

edit: i was not able to simply unbolt the lower channel that holds the glass up and C#*@ the window and pull it out, like every other normal window...i tried. the side channel and all keep it in place completely, and it just moves straight up and down about 6 inches or so.

Anyone have a write-up on how to remove and install the small window on a rear XJ door? XJ i just got had one smashed out and I have a good door for the window donor, I'd switch the doors but the trim package isn't the same.

Procedure is basically the same for both years, but the 97+ is much easier to work on.

I'm lost... I never mentioned a 97+

Donor is a 92. But it has some stupid decals on the side and the grey laredo trim isn't on it. But given that this is a little more difficult than I really feel like doing right now I may just switch the door anyway.

Donor is a 92. But it has some stupid decals on the side and the grey laredo trim isn't on it. But given that this is a little more difficult than I really feel like doing right now I may just switch the door anyway.

I know you never mentioned 97+, in fact you failed to mention anything about the year at all.

I know you never mentioned 97+, in fact you failed to mention anything about the year at all.

Indeed I did :doh: My bad. :wall:

I'll do better next time. :dunce:

Indeed I did :doh: My bad. :wall:

I'll do better next time. :dunce:

Anyways, to add to whats already been said.

Remove the door panel, then there are two 10mm bolts that hold the bottom of the window metal retaining clip in. And thats all that holds the glass in place, but you'll need to remove the rubber trim and seals around it to get the window out, with all the rubber out of the way you can slid the glass peice out.

The older ones are harder to do, if you ever do both you will appreciate the kinks that were worked out on the 97+. Takes about half the time on the 97+.

^really, i was unable to just slide the little window out, i tried. i've done many windows, you can usually just C#*@ them a little, and slide out of the jam. pre 97 i couldn't get it out, i had to take it out with the guide.

Ok... I decided to just change the door since the donor door had no dents and was rust free.

I got the door on, but I must be shim stupid, I can't get everything to line up right. Door closes and latches, but the top of the door seems to be in too far and it's really, really hard to open. Is there some kind of procedure for that? I had to take the top shim out just to get the stupid thing to close.

I don't have the shims from the donor door, just the ones that were on the truck.