4x4 light

so, is my 87 supposed to have a 4wd light on he dash?

I shift to 4wd and I get no indicators. $WD is engaged, I found a gravel parking lot and spun a tire on both axles.

Man, I wish I could find a manual

You can download a pdf manual from Yahoo Comanche Club.

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/jeepcomanche/files/

It's the Ovner Manual for a 1990 mod :)

It's a vacuum operated switch. Vacuum operates the front axle disconnect, and this switch detects the disconnect is engaged via vacuum from the disconnect. The switch then activates the dash light.

Newer jeeps have an electric 4wd switch right at the front axle disconnect.

• 1 month later...
so, is my 87 supposed to have a 4wd light on he dash?

I shift to 4wd and I get no indicators. $WD is engaged, I found a gravel parking lot and spun a tire on both axles.

Another possibility is the 4wd vac switch on the xfercase (as I found out replacing vac lines) when my light would only stay on constantly. The switch was approx $15 from Orielly Auto.( Hint: Use Orielly, Advance Auto, Partsamerica, or Autozone against each other for the best price on anything that you have to buy from them. Just make sure the part numbers match up)

well, I'm pretty sure that the light is just burnt out. Quite frankly it doesn't bother me that much. I know when I've pulled the t-case handle, and I don't park in 4WD. I only use the 4wd in dire situations anyway. I'd prefer to just drive in 2WD all the time. I've got to take the dash apart to fix the heater controls and install a new radio soon. I'm gonna take that extra step and replace all the lights.