Centering yoke dust cover

i took apart my drive shaft today cuz there was this metal against metal ping every now and then. Thought the centering yoke went, but its ok, gonna replace anyway. It was the little plastice/rubber dust shield that is on the end of the drive shaft. It came off and the metal base was rattling around in the double cardan( is thats how its spelt) joint. is there a way to put it back on? JB weld or something to make sure it doesnt come off again. Can i run without it, thats probly a bad idea though.

Yeah just pull it apart. Take the u joint closest to the transfer case out and it should come right out. Cuz its the part that is actually bolting the drive shaft to the transfer case yoke. :thumbsup:

I know the thing you are talking about here. I tried to put it back on mine when I did my driveshafts and I just ended up wrecking it in the process. So I bought a new greaseable Centering yoke and left the dust boot off.

I think the whole dust boot thing is for people who don't maintain their driveshafts. I see no problems with mine so far and both front and rear are this way with no boot (I've got SYE). You just need to keep grease in them on a periodic basis (I do mine every oil change).