Wiper blades, how to remove?

I am trying to put some new wiper blades on and can't figure out how to get the originals off. I don't want to remove the whole arm, just the wiper blade. It looks like it has some type of star washer where it mounts to the "pin" thing on the arm, but I can't find any type of clip.

I am trying to put some new wiper blades on and can't figure out how to get the originals off. I don't want to remove the whole arm, just the wiper blade. It looks like it has some type of star washer where it mounts to the "pin" thing on the arm, but I can't find any type of clip.

On mine, I simply pried up the release lever (on the underside), and slid the entire blade off of the pin on the arm (the release lever could be stuck, due to accumulated crap and corrosion). Then, because I'm a cheap bastige, I replaced only the blade refills ($5 for the pair) and reinstalled the blades onto the arms. YMMV

The original XJ/MJ blades were ANCO, and there's a small recess on the top, next to the mounting pin, that has in it a little wire thingie that you lift up with a small screwdriver to release the blade from the post. There is no star washer, or anything similar. There is no latch beneath the blade. It sounds a lot like some of you have various aftermarket blades and don't know it.

On the other hand, the guy asking the question also probably has aftermarket blades and doesn't know it. Yes, I know that my description is for the originals because I bought my XJ new in 1988 and I have made absolutely certain that I retained the original blades and arms. In fact, I just put a pair of aftermarket (ANCO replacement) blades on about half an hour ago because I haven't been able to find refills for the originals, so I am absolutely certain about how the originals come off.

On each side of the pin there is a rectangle/square whole. it looks like there is a spring in it like the ones in a mouse trap. the one little straight piece on each side that comes off the coiled part comes up to the edge of the hole.