length of brake line along the frame

I had to remove the hard lines going to the rear axle in order to do some frame repairs and they disintegrated into several pieces so I need to replace them.

I have searched but the only info I can find on them here is the diameter. I would make my own but napa is out of the fittings and canadian tire here only carries premade lines. So my question is this: If I decide I can't wait what length premade lines should I get? I have some pictures that I took showing me how they are coiled/wrapped at the axle end but I don't want to go too short with the line in case it caused problems, or could I just go straight to the back with minimal bends/coils and not have any problems? If I can get away with what is more or less a straight line then I can just measure it myself.

Yes, I know your in the 'great white north' but even Napa should have or can order you the "bulk" brake line, like in a 25 foot roll, and yes, you need 3/16" brake line for the MJ.

The hollow nuts are 3/8" x 3/16", Shorts.

I think it's easier to just buy the bulk line, and the fittings and make my own.

But.......you need to use a Double Flair at the fitting ends, and it must be the Double Flair. Don't ever use compression fittings, and just a flair.

I've seen the double flair kits from $15-50+, so you need to weight the cost on how much your going to do, now and in the future.

The only fitting you really need to re-use are the 2 fittings at the master cylinder, these are a hard to find fitting, and weather you by-pass the rear equalizer or not, will depend on how you deal with the lines.

I'm not a real fan of the "pre-made" brake lines, and all the additional fitting you need to deal with, and can't tell you how many times I've ripped them out of vehicles :shake:

here's some reads for ya -

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6492&hilit=double+flair

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4282&hilit=double+flair

Also.......the time to replace the rear soft line, from the frame to axle is when you do the hard lines, and if you get into replacing the axle lines, replace the wheel cylinders too, the time to mess with all the old rusted fittings is not worth the cost of the parts.

Yes, I know your in the 'great white north' but even Napa should have or can order you the "bulk" brake line, like in a 25 foot roll, and yes, you need 3/16" brake line for the MJ.

The hollow nuts are 3/8" x 3/16", Shorts.

I think it's easier to just buy the bulk line, and the fittings and make my own.

But.......you need to use a Double Flair at the fitting ends, and it must be the Double Flair. Don't ever use compression fittings, and just a flair.

I've seen the double flair kits from $15-50+, so you need to weight the cost on how much your going to do, now and in the future.

The only fitting you really need to re-use are the 2 fittings at the master cylinder, these are a hard to find fitting, and weather you by-pass the rear equalizer or not, will depend on how you deal with the lines.

I'm not a real fan of the "pre-made" brake lines, and all the additional fitting you need to deal with, and can't tell you how many times I've ripped them out of vehicles :shake:

here's some reads for ya -

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6492&hilit=double+flair

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4282&hilit=double+flair

Also.......the time to replace the rear soft line, from the frame to axle is when you do the hard lines, and if you get into replacing the axle lines, replace the wheel cylinders too, the time to mess with all the old rusted fittings is not worth the cost of the parts.

thanks, napa has the bulk brake line, it the fittings that are going to take 2-3 days,

btw, it looks like the lines were replaced before as the lines from the master cylinder have female couplers on them around the fuel filter, so they were both two piece as opposed to one piece from the front to back

Actually, NAPA told me they couldn't order the B nuts. If I wanted to make my own lines, I could either use AN fittings or buy short pre-made lines and cut the SAE B nuts off.

In the end I did that. Slightly more expensive but, if you're screwed, what's the option?

You guys in Canada If you ever need stuff you can not get locally to you, then Drop me a line as there is not much I can not get and I can ship the stuff to you...

I have ends and Lines... But Canadian Tire does sell the 3/16ths brake line Nuts so I would try again and ask for a Service tech as Usually they will be in the back where they work and they can and will sell them to you as I have done that before...

And the Nuts for the master as very easy to get as well and I stock them too...

Worst case senerio Buy some pre made pieces And cut off the Ends and use them on your roll... There is nothing Nice about a dozen pre made pieces Unioned together down the truck...

If your Not too far from me Bring me your Lines and I can Flare the ends for you, I have a nice Hydrolic Flare tool...

Good luck

Alex