Another concerning MJ noise

About a week ago I had a new noise show up on the MJ. I have been hearing a clicking type noise when I am coming to a stop. It almost sounds like a u joint is going out but I would think that that would only make a noise when it is under load when accelerating. I am not sure if it does it while accelerating as well because the engine noise would drown it out. It is however definitely louder when braking. I know the problem is past the transmission because it will not make the noise at a complete stop in neutral with the clutch engaged. It is also not in the front diff because I put in a new D30 this weekend and the noise was still there.I don't think it is coming from the rear diff becuase it sounds as though it is from the front, but I suppose the noise could be traveling up the driveshaft and sounding like it is right underneath me. That will be ruled in or out when the new 8.25 goes in soon. Any ideas?!? As all ways I really appreciate all the help you guys can give me, Thank you! :cheers:

I had a similar type noise caused by crud on my front brake rotor. It eventually turned into a squeaking kind of "weh weeeehh weeeeeehhhh" noise, but I could easily duplicate the problem. Try some different use of the brakes to see if you can figure out if it's a brake problem or a drivetrain problem. Maintain a constant speed, say 25, then slowly add some brake and throttle so you can increase brake pressure but stay at 25. You may be able to differentiate between the noise occuring when the brakes are applied, or when you are decelerating. Get up to a higher speed, put the truck in neutral, and shut the engine off. Can you hear it when coasting to a stop? Try adding some brake and see what happens. Then try the same thing, but only use the parking brake (to separate front brakes from rear). What's it sound like?

Perhaps someone snuck into your driveway at night and installed a locker for you? Anyway, noises are good: it means your Jeep is running.

I had a similar type noise caused by crud on my front brake rotor. It eventually turned into a squeaking kind of "weh weeeehh weeeeeehhhh" noise, but I could easily duplicate the problem. Try some different use of the brakes to see if you can figure out if it's a brake problem or a drivetrain problem. Maintain a constant speed, say 25, then slowly add some brake and throttle so you can increase brake pressure but stay at 25. You may be able to differentiate between the noise occuring when the brakes are applied, or when you are decelerating. Get up to a higher speed, put the truck in neutral, and shut the engine off. Can you hear it when coasting to a stop? Try adding some brake and see what happens. Then try the same thing, but only use the parking brake (to separate front brakes from rear). What's it sound like?

Perhaps someone snuck into your driveway at night and installed a locker for you? Anyway, noises are good: it means your Jeep is running.

I have been hearing a loud squeeking as well from time to time at higher speeds (with the brake off) but I thought it was unrelated as that noise came on right after the axle install. Ill check that out as well tonight. I would think I would get some pedal pulsation if it had crap on the rotors?

I pulled the rear driveshaft and checked the u joints last night, they were fine. It was happening before the front axle swap so I doubt the new axle has bad u joints as well causing the same exact noise.

Did you recently lock your CAD to full-time engaged?

When it gets real cold my front driveshaft makes noise too, but it's more like a bird chrip sort of noise and is pretty easy to distinguish from the rest of the noises. Also, its sound is directly related to vehicle speed regardless of clutch engagement, engine operation, turning, or braking. The other clicking noise I was able to isolate because it's easily repeatable when hit the brakes, regardless of the other circumstances (turning, engine, etc). Eventually the crud burned off and the noise went away, and no I never noticed any feedback through the pedal. Actually, the noise would only occur during light application of the pedal (which is how I brake 99% of the time, so very noticeable for me) but on harder stops it was quiet; it might be useful to compare some stops with varying pedal pressure to see if the noise ever changes.

You said you put in a new D30 this weekend, did you swap literally EVERYTHING? What parts were retained, if any? Rotors, calipers, tires, shocks, springs... what? You said it made the noise before and after the swap though.. hmm that complicates things. Does it clunk at all when turning sharp left and then a quick about-face to right and back and forth?

I dunno, hard to say... but my guess at this point is a caliper (please respond you re-used the previous calipers!). Plus it's really hard to diagnose noises over the internet!

I think I found it. I looked at the front tcase output. There is a little metal collar that looks like it is supposed to be sandwiched between the yoke than the case. It is loose and there is about an 1/8th inch space between the tcase and the yoke. Is this a problem? how do I fix?

Here it is. If I push the collar against the yoke, it seems to slide in like it was meant to be in there. also, there is a small amount of the output shaft visible that doesn't look like it has been there for long because it is shiny like the unexposed part of the slip yoke.

Perhaps a guru can answer your question. I don't remember mine doing that when I swapped front axles, but then again I was in a hurry and there's a lot I don't remember. If no one responds with some ideas, I can check mine on Friday after work and take some detailed pics.

Have you tried jacking the truck up with all four wheels in the air and powering the wheels to see if you can hear the noise while it's suspended? That would be by far the easiest way to find where the noise is coming from.

Perhaps a guru can answer your question. I don't remember mine doing that when I swapped front axles, but then again I was in a hurry and there's a lot I don't remember. If no one responds with some ideas, I can check mine on Friday after work and take some detailed pics.

Have you tried jacking the truck up with all four wheels in the air and powering the wheels to see if you can hear the noise while it's suspended? That would be by far the easiest way to find where the noise is coming from.

It didn't come on with the axle swap. The axle swap is because of a different problem. And the new axle is just a non disco hp30, so it was a direct bolt in. I'm pretty sure I found the problem. Also, the collar has been rattling ever since I got the truck ( I knew the noise as soon as I touched the collar) but I think that the yoke being pulled out of the case is fairly new. I wonder if it is just the nut that holds the yoke on is loose and the yoke has pulled out from the assembly? I'll pull the front driveshaft and tighten that nut down this weekend. Also, this is a DD; should I stop driving it until it is fixed?