will exterior windshield trim from a 98 xj fit a comanche?

I need to get exterior trim for my windshield and it looks like they went from a 5 piece setup to 1 piece in 95, does anyone know if I can use the 1 piece trim, or did they make too many changes between the years for it to work?

The gasket will fit. The changeover was because of the airbag. The gasket gets glued in and the glass gets glued to it. This keeps the windshied in if you have an accident.

I need to get exterior trim for my windshield and it looks like they went from a 5 piece setup to 1 piece in 95, does anyone know if I can use the 1 piece trim, or did they make too many changes between the years for it to work?

The gasket will fit. The changeover was because of the airbag. The gasket gets glued in and the glass gets glued to it. This keeps the windshied in if you have an accident.

x2 on it fitting, but not on the other stuff.

The windshield is glued to the body, and the trim is glued to the windshield for aesthetics. The rubber moulding has nothing to do with structural or safety concerns.

The windshield is glued to the body, and the trim is glued to the windshield for aesthetics. The rubber moulding has nothing to do with structural or safety concerns.

actually it IS there for safety...when the air bag deploys, it blows OUT and hits the windshield...the widnshield is supposed to absorb the impact and in extreme cases pop out.

So if the newer trim doesn't clip on like the old one, I could just pick one up from the wreckers and get the body shop to glue it on when they replace the windshield? I'm just looking to get "all my ducks in a row" over the next week or two. It looks like the weather is going to warm up over the next few days and I'm gonna push to get it on the road by the middle of the month and being able to simply glue a new exterior trim piece around the windshield will save me a lot of time.

Thanks

Yes, the windshield is "glued" to the body with Urethane adhesive, and the trim, either the metal or the gasket is applied over the glass.

What your looking for is the '94-'99 one piece gasket, This

Even though is said top and sides, it is in fact a one piece that covers the bottom, sides and top of the windshield.

If your having a new windshield installed, ask the glass shop to install the gasket, some prefer this over the metal trim. And CRL has a Canada :Canadaflag: outlet so you should not have a problem getting it, down here in the 48 the gasket runs about $26USD :D

I don't think a use one from the junk yard would be a big cost savings :shake:

Yes, the windshield is "glued" to the body with Urethane adhesive, and the trim, either the metal or the gasket is applied over the glass.

What your looking for is the '94-'99 one piece gasket, This

Even though is said top and sides, it is in fact a one piece that covers the bottom, sides and top of the windshield.

If your having a new windshield installed, ask the glass shop to install the gasket, some prefer this over the metal trim. And CRL has a Canada :Canadaflag: outlet so you should not have a problem getting it, down here in the 48 the gasket runs about $26USD :D

I don't think a use one from the junk yard would be a big cost savings :shake:

that's even better than trying to find trim from the junkyard, thanks a lot

the gasket is installed on the windshield BEFORE the windshield is glued down to the vehicle.

the gasket ensures that the windshield stays in the vehicle in case of the airbag deploying. this applys pressure to the air bag and keeps it in front of you...rather than going through the windshield and allowing you to pretty much impale yourself on the steering wheel.

It's a great upgrade. I just wanted to set straight that it IS for safety as well.

-Pat

I am pretty well sold on this idea, I just want to make sure the gasket will cover up same area that the trim does and that I am not looking at any gaps or seeing the brackets where the old retaining clips would go into that are around the windshield. It seems to me that some of you have experience with this "ugrade" so is it safe to assume that it will cover everything up?

I am pretty well sold on this idea, I just want to make sure the gasket will cover up same area that the trim does and that I am not looking at any gaps or seeing the brackets where the old retaining clips would go into that are around the windshield. It seems to me that some of you have experience with this "ugrade" so is it safe to assume that it will cover everything up?

I have a 94 XJ and had a 95 XJ(I think JeepcoMJ has it now). You will have to grind down the tabs, The newer XJ's don't have any. I would clean the opening up, prime it with rustolum rusty metal primer since it has zinc in it. Then use the rustolum paint meant to prevent rust. I painted shocks like that and it lasted for many years. They still look good. Just mask the body to prevent over spray. The first new one they installed had distorted glass and was crooked leaving a gap. They put a new one in and fixed all the problems.