clicking sound when key is in on or accessory

There is a loud clicking sound (with a low constant buzz) that starts when I put the key into either on or accessory (any position that will start powering the electrical), when I listen from outside it sound like it is coming from the canister area, when I listen from the inside it seems to be from the transmission tunnel area, the noise doesn't go away when the engine is running either.

Ant ideas on what could be happening? Aside from this noise there doesn't seem to be any other problems with the engine.

the sound isn't coming from the relays that are up by the battery, the sound is definitely from down low, as if it is near where the transmission meets the engine, is the fuel pump in the tank? or is it external

but the comment about the relays clicking does give me an idea, maybe i could try disconnecting the starter solenoid and see if the clicking goes away

The fuel pump is in the tank, internally, and the tank is on the left (drivers) side, right along the drive shaft / transmission, so the fuel pump noise would radiant up thru the tranny tunnel.

The started solenoid will only be "activated" when you turn the key to the 'start' position. Disconnecting it will not do anything to stop the clicking noise.

You could also be hearing the "key in lock" buzzer under the dash, but it's on its way out and only making a small buzzing sound :hmm:

i'm going to have to replace mine asap, its louder than the engine when it is running :grrrr:

If your talking about your fuel pump? I personally think that its a myth that it will whine when going out. My last 2 pumps on my truck had no whining or signs of going out, they just quit one day. My new (3rd) pump has been whining since day 1 and has never shown any problems. Also, my 92 XJ that I had years ago whined from the day I bought it to the day my sister crashed it and the pump never gave out.

If your talking about the clicking of the blower fan, mine will only do it when the engine is off so idk why yours would be making that noise with the engine on

• 2 weeks later...