HELP,I feel stupid..........

Okay guy's, what vehicle can I get a front axle out of that will bobuying lt up to my 1986 MJ .

I am buying this mj and the front axle has been changed to a two wheel drive axle and i want to put it back to

four wheel drive. I know i need to make sure the new axle has the same gear ratio but I am stumped as to which axle will fit

many thanks in advance. :fool:

sorry it's a 1986 XLS with the GM V-6 and a 4 speed standard

that is all i know at this time :help:

Great site by the way :thumbsup:

Everything on the front of Comanches interchanges with Cherokees. So any Cherokee front axle (but you do need to check the gear ratio). I believe the only front axle used was a Dana 30. Other vehicles may possibly interchange, like YJ or Grand Cherokee?

A YJ axle should work but you will need to make your axle brakets to have it bolt up as the MJ is a coil sprung front end and the YJ is leaf spring. But other than that it should work. I don't know about a ZJ but they were still dana 30s and coil sprung but I don't know if it will bolt up you may need to change the suspention mounts.

XJ/MJ are a direct swap. TJ/ZJ are a direct swap, but are low pinion (as are 00+ XJs). YJ would need extensive welding.

Also, I think the 2.8L v6 only had 5 speeds with it from the factory. But the 4-speed version of the trans is a direct swap, so it's possible that it was replaced at some point in time.

XJ/MJ are a direct swap. TJ/ZJ are a direct swap, but are low pinion (as are 00+ XJs). YJ would need extensive welding.

Also, I think the 2.8L v6 only had 5 speeds with it from the factory.

Cool. Thanks guy's, I knew i could count on you for a fast and accurate response

still just dong research on this MJ BEFORE i buy it, but it looks like i will have it really soon!

:wavey: image_209027.gif :wavey: