Front Rear Tow Hooks with Stock Bumpers?

I'm thinking about *maybe* taking the MJ down to Pismo Beach next month for my March Club run if I can't get the rear Brakes on the TJ fixed or replaced by then... I don't have the cash or time to do replacement bumpers right now but need to have some tow points so get yanked out when (not IF) I get stuck...

I know Custom4x4 Sells the Bolt on front Brackets... are these worth getting for $75?

xjtowhookbrackets.jpg

But what can I do in the rear with the Stock step bumper?

The Custom 4x4 brackets do have the lateral brackets with them, as shown in the picture, and mine came with hooks included. I have been happy with them so far. The bolts for the hooks themselves were slightly smaller than the holes, though, so trying to yank a tree stump out off to my side it shifted the hook itself. Did not bend the bracket. Loosen bolts, straighten hook out, tighten bolts again.

For a rear tow point I installed an OEM class III receiver hitch, stick the tow strap into the receiver hole and stuck the hitch pin through it. Don't like the 3" less ground clearance I have because of it, though. Don't know what else you could do without getting a custom bumper.

The C4x4 tow hook kit is definitely worth $75. If you could still source the parts through a Jeep dealer, they would total up to probably four times that price. The only criticism I have (and this applies to the factory kit, as well) is that there's no way to keep a strap on the hook with the open side facing down. Spend a couple of extra bucks to get a pair of those little stainless steel spring thingies that snap over the open hook to keep the strap in place when it's slack.

The C4x4 kit includes the tow hooks and they also include the tow hook clasp's (the things that Eagle is talking about). We need to get a better pic of the kit (with the hooks) I guess... :fool:

We've beaten the heck out of the kits on our own rigs and they've held up to the years of abuse. Nice thing is they include the support brackets for the side pulls that not many other kits on the market for the similar price do.

The C4x4 kit includes the tow hooks and they also include the tow hook clasp's (the things that Eagle is talking about). We need to get a better pic of the kit (with the hooks) I guess... :fool:

We've beaten the heck out of the kits on our own rigs and they've held up to the years of abuse. Nice thing is they include the support brackets for the side pulls that not many other kits on the market for the similar price do.

Do they make a kit similar to this, but to use D-Rings instead of Hooks? I see this kit from HiCountry Offroad on Motion's Site...Any comment on this kit MO?

highcountrydkit.jpg

So rear's I'm pretty much SOL unless I add a hitch or a new rear bumper?

You can use THESE with the C4x4 brackets. We can order the C4x4 set without tow hooks to save a few bucks, but you'll have to call us to order it that way. It ends up being more than the Hi-Country kit does though.

The Hi-Country kits are a good quality kit. They just take a different approach to how they mount; using the swaybar holes and than the rear holes in the frame rail. We sell a lot more of the C4x4 kits however and have never had a customer complain about the setup.

Yeah for the rear your pretty much SOL without a hitch or new rear bumper.

Here's a thread on the HiCountry brackets Wade. I was a test pig during their development. :D They incorporated a lot of changes recommended by the CC members.

http://www.comancheclub.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5241&hilit=tow+hooks&start=15

Thanks Don... didn't catch that thread...

It looks like either these or the Custom4x4 ones would probably suit my needs (if I even have a need)...

Not sure I want to spend $100 on just mounts/hooks or $200-$250 (Plus Paint) on a new Bumper with D-Ring Mounts already welded on... I just know if I take the MJ to the Beach and get stuck, I will catch a ration of crap for not having something to yank from...

SW2

The Custom 4x4 brackets do have the lateral brackets with them, as shown in the picture.....

Not in that picture. Shown are the main supports and the backing plates which sandwich the frame, but there

are two more parts that tie in from below that do not appear to be included. See item #4 in this image.

Image Not Found

Miscommunication. When I read "lateral brackets" I think to support side pulls. That would be the L brackets shown as #27.

A friend of mine bought a set of after market tow hook brackets off another side because they cost $5 less than the C4x4 ones. Exact same main brackets, but no L brackets included.

Not in that picture. Shown are the main supports and the backing plates which sandwich the frame, but there are two more parts that tie in from below that do not appear to be included. See item #4 in this image.

Image Not Found

The C4x4 brackets are nearly 3x's thicker than the factory OEM one's. Heck they have a 30lb shipping weight.

That little bracket with the C4x4 one's in my opinion is not needed; not that it would hurt but I'd hands down take a set of C4x4 one's over the factory OEM one's.