Engine stutter...where to start?

OK. I have an '89 Comanche with the renix-controlled 4.0L automatic. When I am driving the truck and I am giving it a good amount of gas for a while at lower rpms, it will start to stutter or miss. I f I let off the gas the revs drop and it runs mint, but as soon as I get on the gas again the stuttering starts and gets bad enough that I will loose all engine power, but the engine never dies, just goes back to idle. Sometimes this clears up in a few seconds, and sometimes I have to pull off the highway and let it run at idle for a few minutes and then it's fine. Also, sometimes if I take off quickly or stomp the gas to pass, the engine will do the same thing, but is fine if I let off a little. This happens at all different rpms and speeds, but it definitely happens more often and worse the warmer the outside temperature gets.

So, I don't know what this could be, but where should I start? The truck has new plugs, wires, rotor, cap, air filter, and oil change.

Fuel filter, sock on fuel pump or fuel pump iself.

:agree: ...but...I also would check for a ballast resistor issue as well to be covered. You can just bypass it for a short time to see if there is any difference. There is also a ground for the fuel pump that is hidden behind the left tail light that you should check / clean ;)

I'll definitely check this stuff. Thanks. But why would it get worse when it's warmer outside? When it is really could(below 20F), it will rarely act up, but now that we've had some warmer weather it's a constant pita!

I would also check your Catalytic Converter for being "plugged"

The way your describing the "lack of Power", that's almost a tail-tell-sign that the cat is plugged up. And as you wrote, about the weather getting warmer........the hotter the cat gets, the more restricted it becomes.

Just for giggles.......post how many miles you have on the MJ.

Thanks for the ideas guys. The truck has 160k on it, but other than this one issue runs really good. I'm gonna change the fuel filter and if that doesn't work, the O2-sensor. I also have a couple of universal cats, a Gibson muffler, and a Flomaster 40 laying around. Maybe I'll put together a better exhaust.

Thanks for the ideas guys. The truck has 160k on it, but other than this one issue runs really good. I'm gonna change the fuel filter and if that doesn't work, the O2-sensor. I also have a couple of universal cats, a Gibson muffler, and a Flomaster 40 laying around. Maybe I'll put together a better exhaust.

:thumbsup: Sounds like a good plan so far.

• 2 weeks later...