Small Overhead Display in Renix Era Xj

I was up at the Brandywine junkyard (MD) and out of 25 or so Xjs one was a trimmed out pioneer and in it was a small overhead console/display. It was maybe 5" long and 3" wide and 2" deep. It had red, black, light green, and a brown wire running to it. It was secured by a cutout in the headliner and the visor clips. Sorry about not grabbing a pic, but I didn't bring a camera with me.

I tried to chase down the wiring to figure out what it was, but I lost the wires behind the dash and got distracted elsewhere.

Anybody have a clue what this is and where the wires might go?

Ive seen two with an overhead/forward plate like that- One had a clock/inside outside thermometer/trip meter, the other was a police XJ- had the lights wired into a panel between the visors and backwards-

red/black/green/brown is usually/normally found in trailer harness setups-its pretty universal. It could have been a tow vehicle with the light system built into the overhead-

the one your talking about probably had a small black bubble on it.

if that's the case, it's the factory keyless entry module and reciever.

if not then it had a sunroof and had a shorty OHC with a display on it for temperatures etc.

but I'm betting it's the prior one not the latter.

In the XJ that I 'disassembled' for parts, the wiring for that module went across the roof to the passenger mirror assembly (that had a lighted vanity mirror) and followed those two wires down the passenger A pillar to the dash harness. The red wire seems to run all the way to the fuse box, and the black joined the ground wire network under the dash. The brown joined the brown wire coming from the vanity mirror. The green....I've no idea...it just took off under the dash somewhere... :dunno:

yep bubble is for keyless.

I'm actually modding a 95 OHC to go into my wheeling truck with the rest of the 95 junk. it has the temp, directional, and keyless reciever in it.

and yes you can get FOB's...go on ebay or buy one from the dealer. there are instructions somewhere on the net for programming.

I'm actually modding a 95 OHC to go into my wheeling truck with the rest of the 95 junk. it has the temp, directional, and keyless reciever in it.

and yes you can get FOB's...go on ebay or buy one from the dealer. there are instructions somewhere on the net for programming.

those IR remotes are just about worthless.

those IR remotes are just about worthless.

yeah, you have to have it pointed directly at the reciever. kinda sucks.

but hey, the cherokee had that option, and so now my comanche will too.