Reading Gear Ratios

I was looking at a DANA 44 last night and the tag had on it (at the beginning)

Now if I follow what i've heard 30/7=4.28 or 4.27 gears

or like this add

Have a matching set, 3.07 gears, lockrights front and rear, set up for factory spring or Spring over, has tie rod up front and extended trackbar bracket, includes all brakes, drums discs, etc. actually you're buying the lockright lockers,

it is 3.07 gears

This add is talking about a dana30 and 35 for $425 of a 91 JY - to bad I couldn't put that under my MJ

Like another person writes:

I'll have a 93 with 327 gear

are they reading just the tag and he actually has a 4.56

Likely that will mean 3.07. The numbers 30 and 7 seem a bit too low for Dana axles (though I'm no expert). If the tag uses the tooth counts, it'll be somewhere close to 40 and 10

41/10 = 4.10

41/11 = 3.73

39/11 = 3.54

I forget what the 3.07 numbers are.

I have a 4.0/5 speed in my 94 XJ, and think 3.07 is about right with P235/75R15 tires. When starting from a standstill around town I run through all the gears, cruising 40mph in 5th. 30 mph I run 4th. And accelerating fast because of an incredibly short on ramp I spun the tires in 1st, 2nd and 3rd. Finally shifting to 4th didn't squeal, but I was going 60 by then.

If I remember right, 3.07 gears are 43/14.

Not the same. That's an auto. You need to experience 3.55s with the stick. :thumbsup: I went from 3.07s in a blown 35 to 3.55s in an incredibly overly-priced Dana 44 and it put a smile on my face that lasted for weeks. :D Made me remember what my truck was like with the puny 27" tires (was wearing 30s at the time of the swap).

I never had any issues like that. You may need some better tires though if you're leaving skid marks all over the place. I was running the old gen BFG ATs (this was a decade ago after all). Go find a 3.55 axle with the posi in it and be prepared to have a permanent smile. :D

And 3.55s isn't enough for 33s. 4.10s minimum. You get the same issue I had with 3.07s and 30s. Not enough gear to match the rolling radius.

Just found another MJ for sale $500, 4wd but with a V6 and he has no idea even what a differential is much less if it is a DANA44 with a 4.1 - Why does he even own it? And he doesn't have a computer so I could send him pictures. Got to find a way to avoid a road trip. Of course I just did a road trip over the weekend to Las Vegas for a DANA44

Same year as mine and I'd love to swap both differential if its a DANA44 with 4.1 and then sell everything else

See if he can read you the numbers off the tags. What year is this MJ?

And rather than killing what I assume is a rust-free MJ, how about swapping your axles under it and selling it whole?

He said V6, so it'd be an 86.

I think in 86, the D44 was not an option. Either D35, or AMC20. Or a D44 swapped in at a later time.

Not the same. That's an auto. You need to experience 3.55s with the stick. :thumbsup: I went from 3.07s in a blown 35 to 3.55s in an incredibly overly-priced Dana 44 and it put a smile on my face that lasted for weeks. :D Made me remember what my truck was like with the puny 27" tires (was wearing 30s at the time of the swap).

:agree: I love my 3.55s. By far my most favorite mod so far. With my 235 15's I can cruise around in 5th gear just about all the time. I rarely have to downshift on hills. The best part is she still pulls down an average of about 18 mpg back and forth to work. Never had any problem leaving rubber on the road as I just don't try it. The last time I did was the reason my truck now sports 3.55's instead of 3.07's......Stupid d35 :mad: :mad: