TPS Adjustment

I purchased a new TPS. BLHTAS was kind enough to present an article on how to adjust the TPS. I believe I am missing something and could use some advice.

Before I connected the sensor, I checked voltage at terminals B & A and it read 4.99 volts. I assume the variance is due to my inability to get the probes inside the connector properly. When the connector is mounted and adjusted to .8 volts on terminals C & B, the engine races. I have better luck if I adjust it by hand. Unfortunately, when I do, the idle is way off after I restart the endgine. Am I overlooking something? :dunno:

are you sure your using the right procedure? They are different for the manual vs auto trannies. I used the same info from BLHTAZ when I replaced my tps a couple weeks ago and it runs awesome now. Bye the way TAZ thanks again :bowdown: :bowdown:

Yes I believe I am following the correct procedure for the '87 5 speed. Once I put the probes in the connectors, they seem a little tempermental to get a voltage reading. Sometimes I really have to move the probe around to get a reading. Perhaps that is my problem? I have considered stripping the wire but that just sounds like a really bad idea for some reason.

I can tell this engine really likes the new TPS even though I keep messing up the settings. It is starting to behave like I remember it so I know I am on to something.

And yes I did have a picture of the interior after all. I promise I will post it on Sunday.

By the way, I hope BLHTAZ doens't get mad since I misspelled his name. :brows:

By the way, I hope BLHTAZ doens't get mad since I misspelled his name. :brows:

:rotf: No problem...I don't do it for recognition. ;)

I had the same issues with mine...it is very difficult to get the probes in there and get a reading. I found that it was easier to ground the negative lead to a remote source instead of trying to get both of them pushed in to the connector. I touched the negative lead of the tester to a good ground on the block and then only had to worry about getting the positive lead in to the terminal A connector and it was much easier. I had it adjusted and running good in just a couple minutes that way.

I am not an electrical guru by any stretch of the imagination and someone may refute this idea for some reason, but after I adjusted it that way and tightened everything down, I went back and checked it with the probes in the recommended terminal locations and the readings were perfect there too :thumbsup:

Thanks TAZ, moving the ground to the engine block really helped. I was able to get it dialed in pretty well. Unfotunately, it didnt do much good. The idle was either too high or too low. I began to feel sorry for the starter so I stopped.

To me, that means I must have misdiagnosed the problem. I think I will need to take it to a Jeep dealer and pour money on the ground. But since I may have bought a new TPS while my old one was still good, I probably already waisted money anyway. :doh:

Unfortunately...I did the same thing. I eventually found that my problem was a bad ground on the right rear side of the engine block and once I took all those ground wires and made sure they were in the right place and had a good clean ground, everything has been fine.

I put my old TPS back on and sold the new "hardly used" one to someone on here for about a $30 loss, but that was better than eating the whole thing at $115 - $120... :thumbsup: